Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Ruger 10/22RBM and was interested in changing the barrel; however, this is something that I have never done before.

Is this as simple as removing the old barrel and installing the new one or is there more to it than that? Are any special tools required? Are there any instructions or guides available online as to how to go about this?

Is this a task that the average shooter can undertake or does it require a professional gunsmith?

I was looking at the Green Mountain Blue Fluted Barrel and perhaps the Volquartsen Laminated wood stock (unless anyone can point me to a lower priced aftermarket wood stock)

Sorry for all of the questions but I am a gunsmithing newb :-D

Thank you for any info :D

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
You'll need a flat bladed screwdriver to remove the barrel band and get the action out of the stock. And a 5/32" (If I remember right) hex key to remove the barrel from the reciever. It helps to have a ball ended one, but it's not required. That's pretty much it - drop in the new barrel, replace the wedge, put it back in the stock (or a new one) and go shootin'! You probably want to push out the pins holding the trigger group to the reciever, (and remove the trigger group) just so they don't fall out and get lost.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I was hoping for, that it would be an easy operation :-D

Thank you for the info,
--Dragoon

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
Be certain to center the safety when removing the barreled action from the stock. If you don't it will interfere. Good luck from the gunnut69

1 - 4 of 4 Posts