Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone
So I am using a 35 Remington for deer hunting this year and had a couple of questions on which I hoped someone could enlighten me. I have read that Hornady's Leverevolution ammo uses, believe it or not, Leverevolution powder. Makes sense, right? However when I pull bullets and measure the charge in those LVR cartridges I get about 38.1 grains of powder. This gives a listed velocity of 2225 FPS from 24 inch barrel per Hornady. And my chronograph confirms that (2180 fps from 22 inch barrel). However, when I consult the Hodgdon website they say a max charge of LVR powder is 41.4 grains with a velocity of only 2116 fps from a 24 inch barrel. So these powders are not the same after all, right? What is Hornady doing different to get higher velocities with less powder? Could different primers do this? I have heard people guess that perhaps it is a "duplex" loading or perhaps they are using "magnum" rifle primers. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
you have to remember that the canister grade powder
that we buy to reload with, and the powder that ammo
manufacturers use in factory ammo is usually different.
most all factory ammo is loaded with blended powders
made up by large batches and is blended to achieve the
desired pressure and burning rate by the labs at the
factories. they might blend several tons of powder at
one time for a run of ammo they're making. the powder
we buy has to be fairly consistent from one pound to
the next since the end use of that powder is out of control
of the manufacturer.

·
Registered
10,172 Posts
I don't know what powder they use but I know it's not cannister powders, nor magnum primers nor duplex powder charges.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts