Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that I can't get past the feeling that I need to do a study of Revelation and post it here on the forum. So here i go again. I think I stopped at lesson 6. So here is #7. Be paitient, this will take a while, God willing.

Ok, so far we have listened as Christ has been speaking to the churches. He has addressed four churches to this point and found three of them have come up short. Only one did He find no fault with, the church in Smyrna (again I must remind you that this is a church type). In fact we will see that only two of the seven churches (types) are pleasing to Christ. I would think that if someone wanted to be pleasing to Christ they would make the effort to learn what it was that Smyrna and Philadelphia taught and I would do my utmost to follow that path. When you are talking about two churches out of seven then that would indeed be the “narrow gate” or path that Christ said we should make our way through.
If you want to be pleasing to God then you should care enough about His wishes to do things His way. None of us are perfect and we all fall short at times. But when we do get off the narrow path and find ourselves on that wider, more traveled highway we must make our way back to the correct path. Sure the “highway” is easier and everyone else is on that road. But that isn’t the direction God’s Word says we should be traveling.
What we are reading here in Chapters 2 and 3 are God’s instructions on choosing the correct road for our lives. To take the narrower, less traveled road does take a little courage, fortitude, and discipline, especially discipline. Most churchgoers it seems would much prefer the “easy path” and follow traditions of men, which make void the Word of God. But that road does not lead to our Father and it does not please Him. Like the Apostle Paul said in 1 Thes. 5:21 “ Prove all things; hold fast that which is good”
Now let’s begin our lesson and listen as Jesus talks to the church at Sardis.

Rev.3:1 “And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.”

Jesus Christ knows their works. He knows our works as well, both the good and the bad. It appears that this church in Sardis(type) is Christian in name only. Spiritually they are dead as a door knob. Maybe we should do a little side trip into the history of Sardis. It might gives us an insight as to why Jesus chose this church as the (type) to represent what they are doing in this kind of church.
Sardis was the capital of Lydia. It was a merchant town and once the “Queen of Asia”, very prosperous. They worshipped the goddess Cybele, also called Rhea. She was supposedly the goddess of the growth of natural things in Greek mythology and also called the mother of the gods. Many years ago there were 6 pillars of the temple of Cybele still standing. They were 60 ft. high. Amazing how the number 6 and it’s multiples keep popping up. Got your “ears” on?

(2) “Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God.”

Are you taking to heart what Jesus is saying here? Sure He is speaking to the churches, but these are the words and instructions from Jesus Christ! It should be read as if He were standing and talking to you and me face to face. Are you listening to him? he is talking about our “works”.

(3) “ Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.”
You need to be watching! You need to be on guard! If you are not watching, if you don’t know God’s Word and don’t know what to watch for then you are not of much use to God. If you don’t know the order of events and don’t know when the Lord’s day comes, then it is a lead-pipe cinch that you will find yourself worshipping the false messiah!
You don’t believe Jesus? You need a second opinion (witness)? Paul makes a fine witness. Let’s listen to his testimony: 1Thes.5:2 “ For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night. (3) For when they shall say, Peace and safety, then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child, and they shall not escape. (4) But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. (5) Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.(6) Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober. (7) For they that sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night. (8) But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation. (9) For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ.”
Do you want to be watching, on guard? Or would you rather go to sleep on your watch, or maybe just take a little nip of the “Oh so sweet taste” of the wine of lies that has been brought into the churches by men’s traditions? Jesus and Paul have warned you about them. Have you been listening?
Back to Revelation Chapter 3:
(4) “Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.”
In each of the churches we have studied there are a few people that have managed to stick to God’s Word, even though things around them are “going to **** in a hand-basket“. I think God puts people in certain places so they can be a blessing and of benefit to others, reminding them of the road they should be traveling.
Those who have remained true to Jesus are worthy to be the Bride and wear the white garments symbolic of purity. You haven’t forgotten the “pictures and symbology” God teaches with here in Revelation have you?

(5) “He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.”

White raiment is symbolic of righteous acts, yes, works. Our works are all we can take with us when we leave the flesh. These works will make up our “clothing”, the white raiment, in the Kingdom of God. What do you plan on wearing in heaven? Some of us better get busy weaving or we are going to be mighty embarrassed!
(6) “He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.”

This is the 5th time Jesus has told us to listen and pay attention to what He is saying. Got you ears on yet?

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
Now this is more like it! Finally a real Bible study. :agree:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts