Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to be getting slower as I dig deeper in this study of Revelation. But stick around as I will, God willing, finish it.

Ok, now we are going to take a look at the church at Philadelphia. Remember I said that there were only two churches (types) that Jesus Christ found no fault with? This church is one of those two, along with Smyrna. Don’t you think it is important to see what these two churches taught, especially since Christ approves of their teachings?
Let’s get right into the study and I’ll try not to be too long winded.

Rev.3:7 “And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;”

Have you noticed how Jesus begins His addressing the churches? He mentions some of His characteristics to each church. There is a purpose for this. There is a message that pertains to each church(type) in particular. He presents truth, holiness, and the knowledge of the “key of David” as characteristics to this church at Philadelphia. What is this “key of David”?
A key is something that allows you to unlock what is locked up. With the “key” you can open a door and enter into the “truth” that is beyond that door. I say “truth” because we are talking in this instance about the Word of God. It is Jesus Christ, who came “out of the root of Jesse, by way of David, that has this key. He has allowed the church in Philadelphia to have this key. Isn’t this key something that you would like to have the use of also? With this “key” you have free access to the Word of God, without the hindrance of the traditions of men. This “key” unlocks every book in the Bible allowing the truth to come forth.
At the same time, a key is also for locking. This “key of David” locks out false doctrines and the foolishness man tries to bring into the Word. This key will loose the chains of the traditions of men that have “bound” those searching for truth. They can be set free and never again be bound by those traditions. This key unlocks the truth and the truth sets us free. John 8:32 “And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”

Rev. 3:8 “I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.”
Jesus says that the church of Philadelphia “hast a little strength”. You don’t have to be a big, strong muscleman to confront Satan. Even a 98 lb. weakling can use this “key” to slam and lock the door right in Satan’s face! Even “a little strength”, when it comes from our Father is far stronger than anything Satan can muster up.
Jesus also says that Philadelphia(type) has kept His Word. They know it! They understand it! They live it! They do it!
Of course you must have studied the Word to be able to keep it. Remember it’s what is in the Book and not the Book itself that is the main thing. It doesn’t do any good if you just show your Bible on the coffee table or thump it a few times in church. You have to read it! John 8:31 “Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;” If you want to be a disciple of Christ you need to unlock His Word and study, continue, abide, dwell, live in it!
Now let’s use that key of David and unlock the next verse.

Rev.3:9 “Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.”

This is basically the same thing Jesus said to the church at Smyrna, the other church He found no fault with. What is it these two have in common that the others don’t have? They both hold to the doctrine that teaches about those who claim to be Jews, of Judah, and are not. Instead they are deceitful liars, crooks, imposters, who say “We are of your brother Judah”. They are not Jews but are Kenites, sons of Cain, thus sons of Satan.
But Christ just told us that He will make these Kenites to come and worship before our feet. This doesn’t mean they are going to worship us. It means that when Christ returns Every Knee will bow to Him. God’s elect will be with Him, at His feet worshipping Him. Even the Kenites will be on their knees before Him. They will either worship the True Christ or they will eventually perish in the lake of fire.
In the last of verse 9 Jesus lets His disciples in the church of Philadelphia (type) know that HE loves them for what they do. Do you want God to love you for what you do? Don’t you think a good start would be to know, do, and teach what these folks of the church in Philadelphia do?

Rev. 3:10 “Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.”

What is this hour of temptation that the church of Philadelphia escapes? It is that “hour” when Satan will be here on earth in his role as the anti-Christ, claiming to be our Savior and Messiah. ( remember that in the Greek “anti” means instead of.)
Does that mean that these folks are going to jump aboard the Rapture Bus and fly up, up, and away in the sky? If you think that you have been listening to too many unknowing preachers. It means that those with the Seal of God in their foreheads, those who have lived in His Word, those who have unlocked the key of David and know who is the true Christ and when He returns, will not find this “fake” at all tempting. They will find him to be an abomination! And they will be about their Father’s business of testifying against the false one. Satan will have fire in his eyes and anger in his heart against those who know the truth. But, as we will see later here in the Book of Revelation, Christ has instructed Satan that he CANNOT harm a single hair on their heads.
Yes, these Christian “Bruisers” will be right here! They aren’t flying off to anywhere with this fake! They stand with their feet planted firmly on the ground, dressed in that full suit of Christian Armor! They are ready for battle! Are you?

Rev. 3:11 “Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.”

These folks who know the truth have a crown waiting for them. They are overcomers and will not allow ANYONE to take their crown. Jesus is telling them, and us, to beware because the Tempter is really, really good at deception and to stand firm and stay suited up.

Rev. 3:12 “Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.”

These “Pillars” are those steadfast, resolved, overcoming, Christians that uphold, support, and do the work and the Word of God. How would you like to be one of these “pillars” in the temple of God?
Now listed very carefully to what Christ says next. It is definitely time to put your ears on. These overcomers in the church of Philadelphia (type) will receive a “new name”. There is a “marriage” about to take place. The “bride” always gets the name of her husband. (I am borrowing this next statement from something I read long ago.) They will have a new address also: “ #1 Philadelphia Street, The Eternal City New Jerusalem, Planet Earth, Headquarters of the Universe.”

Rev.3:13 “He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.”

I hope you are paying attention to what Jesus Christ is saying to you and not what some lying wannabee or Jezebel is whispering in your ear.
Next time we will talk about the church at Laodicea. Exciting stuff, huh?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts