Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have been lurking on this site for a while, and this is my first post. I have some questions for you esteemed gentleman. My dad gave me an old K-22 type revolver recently, and I would like to know about it. It is a six shot double action revolver with a six inch barrel, serial number 638240 on the butt bottom and on the rear face of the cylinder. On the top of the barrel it says Smith & Wesson Springfield, Mass. U.S.A. Patented Feb. 6 06 Sept 14 09 Dec. 29 14. on the right side of the barrel, it says .22 long rifle ctg. on the left side Smith & Wesson. Onthe right side of the fwd. frame below the cylinder Made In U.S.A. It has adjustible sites. Blue is 50-60% with some small pitting. I would appreciate any and all info that you might have including approx. worth. Thank you in advance. Bill [email protected]

· Registered
666 Posts
willyjohn,

You lucky guy.

Your heirloom is a "Model K-22 Outdoorsman" (K-22 1st Model)

The date is between 1931 and 1940 with 19,500 being produced.

The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson prices this gun accordingly:

NIB $850.00
EXC. 500.00
VG 300.00
Good 250.00
Fair 200.00
Poor 150.00

The SCSW is published in 2001 and is not as current as a recent bluebook price guide. These guns are selling for more than SCSW lists the price at.

Do you have the box? The box in good shape is possibly worth as much as $200.

I hope you plan to keep this family treasure and pass it along someday.

HTH

Fred

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HappyHunter, Thank you very much for your reply & the info included. Sorry to say, I don't have the box. I'm trying to think back, & I believe that I recieved the Smith in a trade some time in the late 60s. I then gave it to dad & he had it all this time. We went down to Florida to visit mom & dad{she is 87 & he is 91} & he gave it back to me. He said that he probibly would not be shooting a whole lot any more. I was wondering about sending it to S&W to have it refinished. What do you think about this? Thanks again. Willyjohn

· Registered
666 Posts
That is a tough question. If it is rusted maybe, but otherwise I would not.

You will not be increasing the value of gun on the open market....but the value of this gun to YOU is a different question. The family history of this gun is the treasure. If a refinish will make you happier with gun and make it last and be more treasured by your kids (grandkids) do it.

This is the type of gun that should be passed on and shot by kids....and then thier kids.

Enjoy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.