Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything a pistolsmith can do regarding a revolver with the following problem: You cock the hammer, but then you are able to force the hammer forward by pushing it with your thumb. I am hoping that it is fixable, as it is a gun I want to use for a long time. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Revolver problem

It depends on the revolver model brand, age, and yes, the degree of problem you have with it.

You described a worn sear notch/hammer notch problem. It can be either the sear notch is worn or damaged to the point that you have to re-shape them by stoning.

Older Colt revolvers will require re-timing when you work on the sears. Other parts (ratchet, hand, bolt, etc) are likely to be worn too.

Some revolvers (notably S&W and the older Colt's) used case-hardened sear and hammers, and stoning or wear will necessitate re-casehardening to do the repair.

If the revolver is a modern Colt (MKIII) or Ruger, the parts are hardened alloy steel throughout, and you can stone on them directly without re-heat treatment.

HTH

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
I have also encountered this problem when hammer/sear angles were changed by someone attempting to lighten-improve the trigger action.. Altering the angles of the engagement surfaces can cause major probelms and dangerous situations. If you are asking these questions I would guess you dan't have the knowledge base to make these type changes yourself. I would have to advise you that the best course of action would be to take the weapon to a pro.. Good luck from the gunnut69

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are right, I lack the knowledge to attempt any smithing. It is a 6" S&W 686, that I bought used a couple of years ago, before I had any idea what to look for in a used gun. I bought it for about $260, and it has shot ok for me. I recently learned of the problem, and I do have a call in to a gunsmith for a hands on inspection. I really like this gun, and the finish is still excellent. I want to keep it for hunting and target shooting, and hope that it isn't too expensive to fix.

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
It's not really possible to say why this is happening but the smiths are casehardened and if the case wears thru or is poliched thru they can go south.. Luckily there are still lots of parts for the K frame smiths and any good pistolsmith can put her back to right.. I love to carry the K's but prefer shooting the N frames. The extra backstrap the trigger length is the reason.. In any case my personal revolver for the time is an old N frame model 28. With the 4 inch barrel and 125 grain Sierra JHC bullets it is certain death... I used to woods walk with a K-22 but lately there are sooooooo many stray dags I taken to the M28.. I also bought a Ruger
SP-101 in 32 mag but the grip is so small my aching hands can't hold it well enough to shoot..when I get the time a new set of grips is Maccassr ebony is in the planning stage.. A quick trip to the gundoc and that L frame will be good as new. from the gunnut69

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gosh, I hope so. I would hate to have a "legitimate" reason to go buy another gun. My local gun shop has a 4" 686+ (seven shot) for sale for $350.

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
Well hexx! Don't have to have too much reason to buy a new pistol!! How about celebrating the taking of Bagdad, almost anyway.. Or I'm sure it's somebody's birthday today! good luck from the gunnut69!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts