Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be moving to RI for a few years for work, and would appreciate any insight on the state of firearms ownership, shooting, and hunting for the state. Thanks!

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
I think you can only use Red Ryder BB guns, so as not to shoot clear across the state. :)

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I sort of exhausted all the gun rights places. Hunting is restricted to Archery, Shotgun and Muzzleloader ... although I hear possibly handguns are allowed. I did find a range near my next duty station that shoots steel challenge and Appleseed, so at least I'll have that. And I can hunt in CO or AK with the kids. Why is it all the states with large Navy & Marine Corps military bases are liberal? Even NC isn't what it once was.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
I hear stories of the NC change and met a lady locally who moved to KY from NC for the same reason. Northeasterners moved in when they retired to Florida and moved half way back ending up in NC. Native Tarheels use the term Halfbacks to describe the people who have moved in and changed the political landscape due to numbers. The Mountains to the coast, NC citizens seem to share the problem equally.

I hope that you find good hunting in RI. I have friends in NE PA who might be able to help with places for hunting there. Not sure how practical that might be for you. Yes

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
I hear stories of the NC change and met a lady locally who moved to KY from NC for the same reason. Northeasterners moved in when they retired to Florida and moved half way back ending up in NC. Native Tarheels use the term Halfbacks to describe the people who have moved in and changed the political landscape due to numbers. The Mountains to the coast, NC citizens seem to share the problem equally.

I hope that you find good hunting in RI. I have friends in NE PA who might be able to help with places for hunting there. Not sure how practical that might be for you. Yes
Thanks, you answered something I have been wondering about for some time. Come to think about it, I have friends who have done the same thing, only difference being that those friends are not liberals.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Geez Team Nelson,

R.I. is one of he tiniest and most densley populated States in the U.S. So why bother? Especially when excellent hunting is available close by in Pennsylvania and Upstate N.Y

Just grit your teeth, buy an out of state license, and go hunt where there is lots of game.

When I lived in Memphis, I use to drive 2.5 hours to deer hunt in central Mississippi, where there was plenty of land and deer all over the place. There were so many deer, and the rifle seasons were so long, that almost nobody bothered with archery or muzzle loading season.

Hunting marginal land is a total waste of time. You can't get your time back, and you end up with little or nothing.

Mannyrock

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Team,

Here is an Article, demonstrating what I mean:

"Mark Demko
Special to The Morning Call

Pennsylvania’s deer hunters had a banner year this past 2017-2018 hunting season, as sportsmen harvested the most whitetails in 13 years, including the most antlered bucks since the year antler restrictions were put in place. Overall, 367,159 deer were taken, up 10 percent from the 333,254 killed in 2016. The harvest was the highest since the 2004-05 season, when 409,320 were taken.

According to the Pennsylvania Game Commission, the antlered deer kill was 163,750, up 10 percent from 2016-17, while the antlerless deer harvest rose from 183,794 in 2016-17 to 203,409 this past season, an increase of 11 percent. The state’s overall deer harvest has risen each of the past three years, something PGC Deer Management Section Supervisor Chris Rosenberry attributes in large part to increasing deer populations in the state as a result of lower antlerless allocations in recent years."

Mannyrock

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hi teamnelson, my info could be dated as things like laws can change.

There is no AWB in RI. For handgun carry you have to take a class and pass it. It requires live firing on an obscure bullseye pistol target, I believe the Army L target. You can make do with something else for practice I'm sure. The caliber you pass with is the largest caliber you are allowed to carry, so if you run it with a 45 you can carry everything else up to 45 cal.

Unsure on hunting regs, it is a small state with lots of smaller towns throughout. I understand the restrictions to shotgun and M/L for that reason, but you may be able to use rifles on private land, just got ot find some.

Good luck on your move, 30CF.

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
30CF, thanks for the info. Its lining up with the other stuff I've found.

Manny, that's a good idea - hadn't thought of it. Was thinking RI simply because I'll be new and most likely anyone else I meet there that might want to hunt would be local. But PA or NY wouldn't be a bad trip. I really just want to handgun hunt, so we'll see.

·
Registered
352 Posts
30CF, thanks for the info. Its lining up with the other stuff I've found.

Manny, that's a good idea - hadn't thought of it. Was thinking RI simply because I'll be new and most likely anyone else I meet there that might want to hunt would be local. But PA or NY wouldn't be a bad trip. I really just want to handgun hunt, so we'll see.
If have a current pistol permit and want to handgun hunt then NH or Maine are the places to go. Both states are Constitutional carry so if it's legal to where you are from you should be good there.

Vermont has no special regs on it, but they are trying real hard to implement some. If it's legal for you to carry you can do so in Vt without any permits.

Check the laws on hunting with a handgun as it can change in state, sometimes areas have their own special regs and conditions. Again, laws can change quickly.

In Pa. and Ct you need a permit from each, I believe. There is no permit system for out of state persons in NY. Only state residents. Mass is very involved, prolly not worth it for hunting purposes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts