Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Congratulation. They were made in Italy. First what kind is it? 1851 Navy,,Rem 58 Army? Could be any of a bunch. Post a picture if you can. Then we figure out what Italian co made it. If you can post pics of all the marks that would help. Some may be hidden.This should give us maker ,year. When we know kind and maker we can find parts. Most are not hard to work on. It most likely has a bad hand spring or trigger spring.(most common fail) If you cock it turning the cylinder by hand will it turn? Have you shot Cap&Ball before? I am old with nothing to do except play Barbie with the grand kid. I can try to talk you through it. Will give me something to do. I have links for parts. This will help with kind. Black Powder Hand Guns - Hand Guns

·
Registered
1,335 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Just remembered. Check to see if one of the screws on the side is loose. One of my colts locks up from that. Use the right size driver and check all screws on grip and under frame. Just snug not hard. Might be broken trigger/bolt spring. Bolt is not dropping out of the cylinder.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Remington 1858 Army. That is nice! Brass frame are sometimes called Confederate. Rebs had little steel so they used brass where they could. Won't want to fire max charge in brass frame if you want it to last. In the morning I will make a call to find out who made it.Need that before parts can be ordered. I never built a Rem. but the spring problems would be the same.. Read the Rem link up top. Also Youtube will have lots of video on how to take her apart. Watch at least 3 or 4. Some guys will know tricks. Others are idiots. First I would pull the cylinder and grips if you can. If you have Rem Oil spray or something like that I would spray into the guts.Wrap it in a rag prop it up and let it drain. 1858 Remington Brass Uberti 1858 Remington Revolver Parts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Bright line on cylinder. Bolt is dragging. Looks like a slight gap at front of trigger guard? Snug screws. You will need proper screw drivers or you will need to buy a screw kit down the road. These were never high end guns and there is a lot of "tuning up" that can be done latter. Lets get her working first. Does the trigger feel like the spring is working or does it flop or hang up? When the cylinder is out you should be able to cock it. You should feel the trigger engage each notch.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found the small box with an X in it . According to the page you listed ,it would have been in 1954. My birth year go figure. Cylinder comes outrigger stays to the rear. Doesn't move. That's a problem. Have to sign off . due in at work at midnight. Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Next step will be to pull the trigger guard. One screw, rotate the front down and pull. Check the spring (part 19 on the Taylors chart). First see if the screw that holds it in is loose. That happens and can keep it from working. If it is tight remove it and check the spring for cracks. When you have it open clean and lube as best you can. Q Tips work good.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Richland went out of business in the 80s before the internet so info is little. Also 54 is very early and Italy was still digging out from the war. Lots of small makers. Quality was random. Best Info I found is Pietta. My guy at Taylors had no idea. Are there any letters stamped on frame or cylinder?I can't magnify the pics on my phone. Might be under the grip. Something like ASM, FIE, Might be bunched in a artsy way? One looks like a jumble of Gs and Ds or a small palm tree. All the parts should be close. Might need to do a little fitting.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
BINGO! I was right. This is the most common fail. Feels good. Now who made her? Those marks on the right under cylinder are proof and date marks. Pietta made them latter but Pietta did not start until 63. BUT old man pietta was finishing gun parts under contract in his moms basement when he was 12. (sounds like a American) Army San Marco, Army Palmeto? I think? got absorbed into others. Pietta and Uberti ate them. Almost all the name brands today get them finished and stamped with there name . The best get the parts and worry/finish the parts into fine guns. And you pay the price. One of the two bought all of Colts dies and shiped them to Italy. But I drift. Like I said the parts will be close nomatter who makes them. Options. Keep goggleing. At $4 I would order 1 Pietta and 1Uberty and see what works. (links to follow). Or Email Pietta in Italy. I did this looking for a odd part. They asked for my address. 8 weeks latter a pacage with Italian postage showed up in my box. The part no charge. ------Do not go deeper without watching videos. Uberti part 19 Uberti 1858 Remington Revolver Parts Pietta part 8 Pietta 1858 Remington Revolver Parts -------Do you have the missing arm? To match with the new part. .This is fun.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thought the x was in the square box. I did not find the broken arm. like i said they were given to me and were in horrible shape. I've been cleaning them for 2 days!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
This is fun. 1976. I would order the Pietta. The broken arm must be up inside some place. No way for it to fall out. It could jam things up latter. To find it you might need to take the rest apart. Watch the videos first. Compressed air or a gun cleaner spray may wash it out. Could have dropped on the bench or ground when you took it apart.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ordered the parts. The other one is cleaned up ,but the cylinder would not rotate. Come to find out the barrel wedge was making it bind up. I guess I tapped it in to tight. I tapped it back just bit ,it still latches . and the cylinder rotates freely and timing is perfect! I victory at a time. Thank you for your help and guidance.!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel
Wood Everyday carry Shotgun Air gun Knife

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Shotgun
Like I said I am old with nothing to do Enjoy. ---Some of my "black girls" love them. From the top. 1853 3 band .58 Enfield. 1884 Springfield (original) 45/70.Uberti .36 1862 pocket police. And Mr 1847 Colt Walker. The .45 Walker and the .58 Enfield take the same 60gr charge! Walker weighs 5 pounds and is a beast. 2nd pic. Rodgers and Spencer. With Reb leather. The blade is a WW1 Trench Knife/Pike. I knew the old guy who carried it in France.3rd pic. Top- Pietta 1851 Navy .44. CVA Kentucky. My first build. Took 30 years. CVA Colonial in the working stage. Because of you she is now on the bench and being worked on again. The tinny one is a North American Arms Supper Companion. .22 Cap&Ball revolver! My little black pain in the ASS Firearms – North American Arms Bottom. 1851 Colt Navy .36. This is what Wild Bill carried. Bill had a beef with a guy named Tut. Look it up. Back a few years ago I was able to make Bills 75 yard Tut kill shot with her. One hand.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I also got one that looks like your Colonial. Looks like it was a kit gun. not very well done. Made in Spain ,think it said Juka or something like that. Beautiful collection you have there

·
Registered
1 Posts
If that is a Richland firearm from Richland Arms in Blissfield ypu may e able to get help from Dick Williams gunshop in Saginaw, MI. Dick bought all the Richland parts for shotguns when Richland closed, pistols it would be worth a try if parts/repair is needed.

I dont know where you are located. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts