Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a friend to buy his first NEF handi rifle. He shot my .357max and was ready to take the plunge. The trouble is to get a .357 barrel he had to buy a set up rifle , so he bought a 223 Ultra, and without even taking it home from the gun shop, he had the receiver shipped back to NEF for a .357 barrel. I told him I had 5 NEF receivers and he could set up his .223 on one of those until his receiver came back with the .357 barrel.
The problem is; the only one that his .223 would lock up on was my 20 gauge, and NEF says thats a no-no.
How about it guys? What is the problem with shooting a .223 barrel on a 20gauge shotgun frame?

PS: I will not hold anyone liable for an opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
well the .223 creates pressures that a 20 gauge only dreams of lol.

thats the first problem...and the second is that the shotgun receiver cant handle those pressures because it simply isnt MADE to.

if he still wants to shoot it, stand behind him lol

it would be easier to MAKE it fit one of the rifle recievers you already have. simply adding aluminum foil or a brass shim to the rifle barrel's notch for the hinge sometimes can help a barrel "fit."

-Matt

·
Premium Member
8,940 Posts
The shotgun frames are a cast malleable iron while the rifle frames are a 4140 (I think) steel. Do not shoot the .223 barrel on the shotgun frame!!! The only difference in casting cost is about $5 and for sure less than $10 between the weaker SB1 frame and the stronger SB2 frame. The SB1 frame however is much easier and therefore a bit cheaper to machine to final tolerances....<><.... :grin:

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have shot .223 on a H&R receiver built in 1982. There wasn't any such thing as a "rifle" receiver built then. Just because it can be done and still survive, doesn't mean it should be done with any regularity.

I'd say wait until the receiver comes back, especially since you don't want to be altering the barrel to make it lock up on one of the other receivers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.