Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot my 270 today at 65 yards and i,m inch and half high ,this is all the room i have to shoot .Any ideas what it would be at 100 to 150 yards?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I would bet that 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch high would be close to a bullseye at 100 yards and 1 inch low at 200 yards.

But experience tells me that unless you sight in your rifle on a good shooting rest at 100 and 200 yards, you are not going to be on center.

Parallax has a lot to do with that.

I'm sure that you still have time before your hunting season starts to go someplace and properly sight in your rifle before you take to the field.

Don't let 15 minutes of work get in the way of hours of hunting.

All it takes is one bad shot to ruin a good hunting trip.

The furthest I ever tracked a whitetail deer was 3 miles though brush. I didn't get the deer!

I spent two days of a 12 day hunting season looking for that one deer. I only had 4 days to hunt!

·
Administrator
26,211 Posts
You will be higher at 100 yards than you are at 65 yards. How much higher is not something anyone can tell you in spite of the programs that pretend to. You really must shoot to know. With most centerfire rounds I find that at 25 you want to be a bit low at 25 to be sure of not being completely off the paper high at 100 yards. But how much high at 100 just plain cannot be determined by shooting at 25 yards.

I shot my .30-06 and .260 the other day for initial sight in of a pair of new rifles. I adjusted both about 1/2" low at my 25 yard line and then moved to 100 yards. Both were quite high but on the 8.5"x11" target sheet. I shot only one load thru the '06 as the first load was super accurate and I just saw no need to shoot more with my tender shoulder. The .260 I shot two different loads and they hit a couple inches different in height at most but were not the same.

Anyone who pretends to predict POI at 100 yards from some lesser distance is either kidding you and themselves or just giving you a ball park figure as I did. You must shoot at the distance you want to know your POI at to determine it.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I agree you are more likely to be higher at 100 yrds with that cartridge. I just sighted in yesterday(284win & 308) & with the way I hunt & terrain I sighted in right on at the 80 yrd setup we had. When I have to go to the range I usually go to the less busy 50yrd line & sight in dead on. That also is about my average shot, but I still like to try it out at 100 or so once in a while. A little high at 50 usually puts it even higher at 100.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
My opinion is that there's only one way to find out, and that is to shoot at 100 and 150 yards. I'm very leery of making estimates.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
One of my favorite quotes comes from a Hornady Reloading book: "each rifle is a law unto itself and generalizations should be made with circumspection". Those folks that run off computer programs and tape them to their stocks are only slightly less clueless than the folks shaking chicken bones. To know what YOUR rifle is gonna do at 200 yards, you gotta shot it at 200 yards.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Damn puppy. Stepped on the key board while I was writing. You guys would be shocked at the accuracy of the program in my chronograph. I use it all the time but, I also shoot at every distance I intend to use it to double check.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
beemanbeme said:
One of my favorite quotes comes from a Hornady Reloading book: "each rifle is a law unto itself and generalizations should be made with circumspection". Those folks that run off computer programs and tape them to their stocks are only slightly less clueless than the folks shaking chicken bones. To know what YOUR rifle is gonna do at 200 yards, you gotta shot it at 200 yards.
Without a doubt.....a true statement......

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Without knowing the bullet weight and the velosity I just guessing, but with a 130 gn. bullet at 3,000 fps. you would be abt. 4 in high at 100 yrds. and 4 3/4 in high at 200 yrds. Actucally you have it set pretty close to the max. point blank range of that round, useine plus or minus 5 in. ( big game setting.)

·
Registered
28,628 Posts
I have seen targets for sighting in military weapons on board ship at 30 yards ( do to space constraints ) and given that great control exist on military ammo and weapons i still wonder about different guns , well being different !

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
It is weird how different is different....

I usually sight my rifles for the use. I have different loads for different things, and they shoot different. There are some bullets that will shoot with a 2" variation in the windage from the others, while still holding good groups, not just the elevation differs, so I have to adapt. (Well, actually only one, which I think I'm going to stop using...) Each time I go out for a hunt, I have to know the load I'm using, and make sure I am shooting accordingly.

When I'm out and have 180 grain TSX's with me for moose, and also 130 grain JSP's with me for wolf, there is a big difference between them, so I have to shoot them both and get to know them both so I can switch on and off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts