Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...Is there enough metal on a standard 20-guage shotgun barrel to installl a cheap set of williams firesights that look like the remington factory rifle sights?????.....my smithy thinks the fromt of the barrel is too thin.....anyone ever done it?

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
As a suggestion, D&T the chamber area for the rear sight and then either silver solder the front sight on or D&T completely through the front of the barrel to mount the front sight, then dress off the protruding parts of the front sight mounting screws that extend into the barrel. Dress them off flush with the interior contour of the barrel exactly thew same as you do when mounting a front bread sight on a shotgun barrel which extends into the barrel. The pressure within the barrel has reduced considerably by then so there is not enough pressure left to blow out the screws. No danger or injury would occur even if they did blow out. Think about it, all bead sights that are mounted directly on the front of shotgun barrels (not onto ribs) are screwed directly into holes drilled and tapped completely through the barrel. If you have any problems with the sight holding on, and I do not believe you will, I would suggest going up one size (diameter) in the mounting screw size and also using a drop or 2 of epoxy when mounting the front sight ramp, not necessarily on the screws but on the radius between the base of the front sight ramp and the (degreased) barrel. It might not be necessary but would be a bit stronger. This is how I would do it anyway and is how front sight beads or mounted. The pressure at the front of the barrel is low enough that even front sight on shotguns that have a plastic threaded mounting shaft are not blown out of the barrel. Good luck and keep us informed of how the project goes....<><....:)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
....hey msp, thanks for the advice, i will advise my smith to do exactly that

this is all in an effort to get a rifle sighted smooth bore single shot slug gun much like the earlier tracker I guns which they should have never discontinued in my mind...

...just put together a swedish mauser sporter at his shop for pennies on the dollar (another gun show find)

...deer season opens this saturday!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
I have a great Tracker I in 12 gauge I was lucky enough to find on the rack at Two Rivers Canoe and Sporting Goods in Medway Maine, a great store that usually has a few Handis in it's well stocked used and new gun racks. I was also lucky enough to order a 20 gauge Tracker I barrel from H&R a couple of years ago when they found some. I much prefer the Tracker I's over the Tracker II's for where I hunt. As a shot you might try and call H&R and see if they may have a 12 or 20 gauge Tracker I barrel left. Sometimes they go out and look and say, Yep, there is one here we found out in the factory or supply room somewhere. Also, if anyone is interested there is a used 12 gauge Tracker II at Kittery Trading Post in Kittery Maine now for $75.00. If it only was a Tracker I, I would have snapped it up myself....<><....:)

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
ratherbefishin, that 20 of yours is a great gun for partridge to deer with the right loads. I am sure you will like it very much. Keep us posted on how it works out....<><....:)

·
Registered
685 Posts
yeah,I'm pretty pleased with it-exactly what I was looking for-a utility gun,short barreled,weatherproof and functional.Now I'm looking to customize it a bit-that hard buttstock looks like it could use a bit of padding[maybe cutting and epoxying on a sole from a thong shoe would work],adding swivels for a sling,and of course, some sort of sights -this gun isn't going to be used for wing shooting.

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
OK guys, I could not stand it any longer and went back to the Kittery Trading Post used gun site, I was really thinking of getting that 12 gauge Tracker II for $75.00. Well it was gone!!! I really hope someone here called or e-mailed them and bought it, if you did you saved me spending more money, money I don't really have to spend on more guns...so thanks to whoever bought it, if a member here or not, and I hope they get much use and enjoyment (and dinners) out of it....<><....:)

·
Super Moderator
51,376 Posts
Andy, you're gonna have to quit that "going home and thinking about it" business, you've missed some great Kittery deals by doing that, and those are just the ones I remember!! :eek:

Tim

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
SHOOTALL said:
there is an epoxy that can be used to mt. sights on shotguns now ,
Do tell. I had been considering JB Weld.

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
You are so right Tim, a couple of memorables that come to mind are an original H&R .357 Max with Laminated Camo stocks for $135.00, I saw it right after they had issued me a store credit slip for the same amount for a gun I traded in, it would have been an even wash, well I thought about it, and it was gone!!! I recall a nice converted 45-70 Springfield IRRC for $150.00, a hunting gun for sure, not a museum quality gun, I thought about it and it was gone!!! Any gun that I have thought about and was still there was not something I should have bought anyway....<><....:)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
YEP! I would bet if you read the specs on the stuff some of the guys have gotten from PolyChoke, it would be pretty close. The better the fit the better the performance of the product, that's kind of standard with any adhesive. SuperGlue does much better when only a thin coat is used. Thanks for the link, Tim, even though most of it was greek to me. ;D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts