Graybeard Outdoors banner
61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The old Remington 22-250 brass was trashed. It hurts my heart but it needed to go. Made a dummy round that closed with a snap. Loaded up twenty rounds using 50gr. Hornady bullets and 34 grains of H-4885. The Winchester cases were sized on the Lee dies and loaded with the Lee seating die. Case mouths were evened up with a Lee trimmer and champhered with a Wilson deburring tool. I used a new Simmons 3-9x50 scope mounted using Burris Z rings. I"ll need to leave the hammer extension in place. There no way to cock that gun with that scope mounted. That scope will go if the gun works. Scope was a gift.

As to the receiver the numbers match with the 22-250 barrel.
The gun works. You've already proved it with the factory loads.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Then the wheels came off! Thanks for the support on this project with the Handi. Rifle. Got enough rounds to get the gun zeroed. Plans were to make it to the range later in the afternoon. It was all coming together. Until....

The rifle dropped off my desk to the floor. Where had the forend gone? The forend detached along with the lug where forend screw went. I can not remember ever having so many problems getting a rifle going. Thanks again for the help. That done it. I'll put this project aside for another day.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 · (Edited)
Glad to; I don't know how to post pictures on this forum. The lug pulled away from the barrel. There are four pin like projection that fit into holes on the barrel. The pegs or pins are broken. I do not see how that much damage could have been done in this fall. There was some signs that there was an attempt to solder the lug onto the barrel. This may have been an attempt to repair attachment to the barrel. I don't blame anybody for being skeptical.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 · (Edited)
And Another of the barrel. That singing you hear is the fat lady. This the last of these of these guns for me. Thanks again for the help.

20210613_161231.jpg

·
Super Moderator
51,330 Posts
The forend stud was resistance welded (spot weld) at the factory, it's not uncommon for them to detach all on their own without impact, one member added weight to the forend to reduce recoil, it promptly detached the stud on the first shot. The best fix is to have it welded back on, or use a dovetail and/or screws, some have had success with solder or epoxy, just depends on how good a job is done.

Tim

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
That's startling when it happens. I was wondering about tapping directly into the barrel. Probably, the most direct was to do it is to clean up the mess and silver solder the lug back on. Do you think either one those would work?

·
Super Moderator
51,330 Posts
I've done both, silver soldered the stud on my octagon barrel 444, and drilled and tapped the barrel to screw mount the stud on my 405 Win, they both worked fine. For a barrel that I didn't want to reblue I'd choose to drill and tap.

Tim

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Wow. I've never seen a modern screw post come off. Some guys have all the luck!

;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Some people are just blessed:mad: quicktdoo explained this happens. He also shared how to fix. Of course, that guy has probably seen thousands of these guns.

I've gotten good support on this forum. I'll shoot the rifle after the lug is attached. I'll up date everybody if I can get the lug fixed quickly. take care and be safe.

·
Super Moderator
51,330 Posts
Here's the FAQs warning link about adding weight to the forend and Fred's fix for attaching a new stud. Lots of forend studs have been reported detached on modern rifles and shotguns, so it's not really a rare occurrence.

You can use epoxy if you're sure to do good prep work (both metal surfaces) to insure a good bond, I've used JB Weld.

Tim

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Update: Handed the rifle over to a retired friend who was an , honest to god, gunsmith. He takes a look. He spoke of needing to get the lug and barrel clean. He also added that he had a TIG welder. Gun should be back shortly. More later.

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Nice neat job! I'll bet it holds for a while!

Reactions: J.G.Terry

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
New problem diagnosed. Gun is not locking. Gent who fixed lug/forend hanger is no stranger to these guns. It's out for yet another fix. Slowly making progress. Sent friend off with gun a short time ago. Fix should be late next week.

In the meantime, I'm putting together some 9.3x57 rounds for a Huskvarna sporter from the 1920's.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Read the thread and didn't remember seeing a mention of frame/breech face gap. Use a feeler gauge to check and can also set your headspace on your sized rounds with them. Break action rifle are a different animal reloading for compared to bolt action.

61 - 80 of 97 Posts