Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone on this forum tried the 22 conversions available for the 1911? I ran across a good deal on a Ceiner conversion for my Kimber that I just couldn't turn down! I've only fired it 20 times for function check. It functioned 100%. Wonder what kind of accuracy I should expect out of it. I have heard that the conversions are ammo sensetive. What can you guys tell me about them????
Thanks

·
Registered
381 Posts
The Ciener is ok, but don't expect match accuracy. The top two .22 conversions as far as accuracy goes are the discontinued Kart Conversion, and the new Marvel conversion. The Day Arms conversion was also held in high regard, but I don't believe they are still made. Neither the Ciener nor the Colt nor the EAA conversion with perform at 50 yards. As far as basic firearm instruction, plinking, etc, the Ciener is ok.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Anyone have any experience with the new Kimber conversion unit?
I think they label it Platinum or something like that. I had one made by Colt, didn't like it and got rid of it.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Kimber conversion is made by Ceiner, $249 on the Ceiner web site--
(Platinum) unit. The basic is $199. Mine is the basic model mounted on a Kimber Classic Stainless Target. Excellent fit and function! My 20 round function test was done out the window of my patrol car at golfball sized rocks in a clay bank about 20yds distant. Turns out I hit more than I missed. I'll put it on paper first chance I get and report back on the results.
Savage

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mikey,
I need any edge I can get! Besides it was raining and I didn't want to get my boots muddy! I did get to the range yesterday but qualifications going on----had to settle for 25 yds. off hand in about a 30mph gusty wind. Still able to get 10rds in about 8 inches. As soon as the weather breaks I'll get in on a bench. Our chief bought one of the Ceiner units for a Glock mdl 19 I'm going to try as well.
Stay Safe,
Savage

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
22 Conversions

Hay Savage: there isn't anything like a little water running between your toes or a 30 mph cross wind to make shooting fun, eh?

Your first test sounded really promising for a conversion unit. When you do finally get the chance I would love to hear how that conversion unit groups for you and what ammunition it prefers - target, standard velocity or high velocity.

Stay safe. Stay dry. Mikey.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mikey,
Hope to have the use of a Ranson Rest for the 1911 unit. That will give a more accurate indication of the inherent accuracy of the conversion than I could ever give it. Guess I'll just have to bench the Glock unit---If the 1911 unit is accurate enough I'll put an adjustable sight that's stashed back in my cabinet on it and shoot falling plates--
Stay Safe,
Savage

·
Registered
80 Posts
Conversion Units

Bob K is right on the money, the Kimber/Ceiner unit is fine for the weekend blaster but the above average shooters (how does one differenciate without being insulting?) will be disappointed.
The Marvel is very close to the accuracy of the legendary Kart, it'll tear out the X at 25yds if you can.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys,
Still haven't put the Ceiner unit in a Ransom, but did take it to the range and benched it under more favorable conditions. The unit shoots to point of aim with CCI mimi mags. I shot two 5rd groups with the mini mags that measured 1.59" and 2.1" center to center @ 25yds. This is not as good as my Ruger, but darn good for a conversion unit! I'm going to shoot the next plate match with it just for grins!
Stay Safe,
Savage

·
Registered
17 Posts
Savage ... that is about what you should expect from the Ceiner ... when these guys are saying it isn't up to snuff, they're referring to the fact that the Marvels are truely match worthy and to prove it, they all come with a 50yd target (from a Ransom Rest) ... mine grouped .76" for five shots beforethey shipped it to me ... accuracy which, today, is pretty much wasted on me :roll: ... I guess if you allowed yourself the luxury of shooting prone from sandbags, it might help you harvest small game in a pinch ... I got the Marvel, 'cuz I could (it didn't break the bank). If the economy was like it is today, I'd probably be quite happy with the Ceiner that I'd have bought instead!

Shoot well and be safe,
Saands

1 - 11 of 11 Posts