Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After Years of Playing With H & R,s. Iver Johnson's,Rugers,Jefferies, and a lot of misc single shots. I think "Rimbo" is on to something. The Rimmed cases!!! i m tired of working rimless loads up to get away from the FTF problems. etc. maybe i m just getting old & cranky. But any more I say Phooey & Poopey a lot more than i did!?!?!?

·
Banned
3,717 Posts
Absolutely. In magazine guns rimless makes sense- but in single shot rifles the rimmed are MUCH to be preferred .

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
I like the way you think! All my Handis have rims and for the same reason. FTFs have frustrated me for years. It may have been due to my inexperience as a reloaded in the beginning, but I have learned and still had the same problems. The rims fixed that for good.

Thanks, Dinny

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
The problem with that philosophy is I will have to end up buying more RIMMED Handi's!

Argggggggggggggggggggh.

Trying to get over that disease!

·
Registered
226 Posts
OK....Here is a Dumas question....WTH does rimmed cases have to do with anything?

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
They headspace off the rim and not the shoulder or case mouth. They are also easier to pull from the chamber too.

Thanks, Dinny

·
Registered
29 Posts
I love rimmed and non belted, too bad I have 2 belted magnums to deal with. I like rugers idea of the non belted kinda short mags that are still 06 length cartridges and mag bolthead. I think the 375 ruger parant case is perfect for 7mm-375

·
Registered
199 Posts
I agree that rimmed cases are much preferred in top-break rifles on account of easier and much more reliable extraction. I have Handis and TCRs and they were all made for, or have been altered to accept, rimmed cases, but still headspace the bottlenecked ones on the shoulder. Had a Hornet that just would not shoot until I got it converted to a K Hornet and could headspace on that nice sharp 40 degree shoulder. Went from patterns to about .5 MOA out to about 300 yards. I think the flex in top-break actions makes them very sensitive to headspace. I mostly partial size & try to keep headspace between .001 and .003, measured with a sized case, not a gauge. Just my two cent's worth.

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
Does anyone know if the .300 DR is now called the .300 RR?

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,717 Posts
SSSSHHHHH!!!!

It is a secret---- Dinny IS Rimbo------ like Clark Kent and Superman----only since there are no phone booths he has to pull out his iphone...

·
Registered
791 Posts
Somehow thinking of Dinny changing to his Rimbo suit IN an I-phone is a lot more than I want to try and wrap my very small mind around, but it would be fun to watch. Y'all take care, John. ;D

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
300 DR - patent pending. ;D 8) ;D

Thanks, Dinny

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
Rimbo! said:
300 DR - patent pending. ;D 8) ;D

Thanks, Dinny
Nice, sticking with the original! Maybe the next wildcat could be the .17 Rimbo? .357 Max parent case?

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
469 Posts
Consider the prices after H&R closed the doors. The rimmed pistol calibers on average bring much more than others and the lower pressure calibers tend to be more accurate. So most of tend to be rim fans. The only unrimmed Handi that I have is a 7.62x39...but it shoots like a rimmed.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Bluejay75 said:
Consider the prices after H&R closed the doors. The rimmed pistol calibers on average bring much more than others and the lower pressure calibers tend to be more accurate. So most of tend to be rim fans. The only unrimmed Handi that I have is a 7.62x39...but it shoots like a rimmed.
I have to beg to differ with you there. The Handi-Rifles I have the most experience with are all rimless high pressure rounds and shoot as good if not better than my rimmed ones.

All in all, Handi-Rifles, no matter the caliber, shoot very well compared to ANY other kind of rifle, rimmed, rimless or otherwise.

BW

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
51,508 Posts
Ol said:
Bluejay75 said:
I have to beg to differ with you there. The Handi-Rifles I have the most experience with are all rimless high pressure rounds and shoot as good if not better than my rimmed ones.

All in all, Handi-Rifles, no matter the caliber, shoot very well compared to ANY other kind of rifle, rimmed, rimless or otherwise.

BW

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
[img] I have far more rimless chamberings, all are very accurate. Try curing a deep rimcut misfire issue on a rimmed straight walled chambering, something that's easily cured handloading a bottlenecked rimless round, you're kinda SOL on a rimmed chambering tho unless you can headspace on the case mouth with long brass. 8)

Tim

·
Registered
469 Posts
Maybe I should have qualified the statement with a "If youre a rookie handloader!". Or maybe its just me. I tend to shoot the higher pressure rounds much better from bolt guns. And I only handload pistol calibers at the moment.

Rimmed or rimless...experiment and enjoy the ride.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts