Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First day of spring this year is March 20.

Are you guys ready to Ring in Spring?

How does 2PM eastern time, 1 PM central, 12 noon Mountain an 11 AM Pacific time.

How does this sound to everyone?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I‘m in on the east coast. The time works fine for me, but can go later in the day too.

·
7,087 Posts
A little early for me. At least it's a Saturday.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
It's awfully chilly around here at Noon, DD. I vote for 2 PM Mountain Time because we have to go out to the windy plains to fire our cannons. We will fire something unusual and larger this time, never fired before by us. Looks like the other responders like later in the day as well.

Mike & Tracy

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Thank you very much! Sounds O.K.

M&T

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
1600 is great for me.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Works for me, hope it does for the peeps at Lake Fork. A friend saw this post of the LF fakebook page:

Propane? Not.

March 20th provides a good target date to get the GOW mortar finished also. I need to get busy.

·
Super Moderator
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Okay its good to go.

March 20th is Ring in the Spring day this year.

Get out your cannons and thunder mugs, even your firecracker cannons. Knock of the cobwebs, scrape off the rust, dab on a little paint.

We have been locked up all winter, time to get out of the house. There is an ancient traditional internet legend that in the days of old, on the first day of spring the old timers would get out and fire off their thunder mugs, cannons, and what ever made a loud boom to chase away the winter. This loud noise would trigger avalanches, knock snow of trees, break off dangerous icicles and and bust up ice jams in the river, starting the spring thaw.

So, who are we to break with tradition.

Saturday March 20 plan on firing a shot to ring in the spring at following time in your time zone

4 PM Eastern
3 PM Central
2 PM Mountain
1 PM Pacific

Live fire, blanks fire, fire cracker fire or stand the front porch by your cement cannon and yell "BOOM" . Make sure you take pictures, video are great, stills just fine, and post them up here!

Just remember guns on firing line are given the command to "FIRE!" Coal miners use fire in the hole.

click on picture!

·
Super Moderator
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As I mentioned in the silent gun post, I am going add an element to my firing-a memorial gun. In this case the gun to be fired, belonged to the person who passed away. This might be something to add to this event. We have lost several members over the years and this would a nice way to Honor their memory.

One gun fired separate in memory of...

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have no convenient place to fire anything here, can't do it in my backyard, but I will be following the action with fond memories of ring-in-spring at the Armstrong cannon shoot in 2018.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Great idea Douglas. I will fire a memorial shot as well.

·
Super Moderator
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Every area is different. We live in an HOA in the county. There are no county restrictions on shooting fireworks.​

Every year I post a notice on the HOA Facebook page about 6 weeks in adavance. I repeat this warning at one month and once a week there after. Then the night be fore and the morning of. I make the warning fun and informative.: I here is the first warning I posted the 5th.

Just a reminder-mark your calendars, because this is necessary. March 20 at 3PM.
Ring in the spring is coming.
There is an ancient traditional internet legend that in the days of old, on the first day of spring the old timers would get out of the house and fire off their thunder mugs, cannons, and what ever made a loud boom to chase away the winter. This loud noise would trigger avalanches, knock snow of trees, break off dangerous icicles and and bust up ice jams in the river, starting the spring thaw.
So, who are we to break with tradition.
As the time gets closer I will post another warning and set a time for the 1st Highland Trail's all Volunteer Artillery Brigade to show up.
For fourth of July I ask for neighbor hood volunteers to come help me set all the guns. That is the VAB.

Last year a new neighbor hood person heard the cannons for ring on the spring and posted on the FB page "Was that Necessary?" The rest of the neighborhood jumped in and straightened them out,. I didn't have to say a word.

But the HOA tenets does include a clause about fireworks being part of the neighbor hood.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts