Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well Gents it's that time again, time to Ring in the Spring.

What is ring in the spring? Well I posted it on our Homeowners Face page last week and some one ask just that question and here is the answer I gave:

RXXXXX DXXXXX it an ancient old first day of spring tradition we made up 10-15 years ago as excuse shoot our cannons. It is so the loud boom knocks the icicles off your eaves and breaks the ice jam on the river. So far it has worked well in HT.
As long as I have been doing this in this neighborhood, no one has pointed out that we have neither iciclesnor a river. Last year was the first time we ever had a complaint, Several warnings are posted on the HOA facebook page, yet some one still post after hearing the salute, "is that Necessary?" I responded, "No, this is Necessary!

Wheel Bicycle part Rim Bicycle accessory Gas

As a result, I now call this Mortar "This is Necessary"

So the first day spring for us is March 20th. Get you cannon out and line them up and shoot them.

Here is 2018 Ring in the Spring when my Grand daughter was still a cute little kid.

So lets do it March 20th. 3 PM Eastern Time. 2 PM Central Time. 1 PM Mountain Time and 12 noon Pacific time. Else where in the world anytime you can.

·
Registered
423 Posts

What is ring in the spring? Well I posted it on our Homeowners Face page last week and some one ask just that question and here is the answer I gave:

As long as I have been doing this in this neighborhood, no one has pointed out that we have neither iciclesnor a river. Last year was the first time we ever had a complaint, Several warnings are posted on the HOA facebook page, yet some one still post after hearing the salute, "is that Necessary?" I responded, "No, this is Necessary!

View attachment 257475

So the first day spring for us is March 20th. Get you cannon out and line them up and shoot them.

Here is 2018 Ring in the Spring when my Grand daughter was still a cute little kid.

So lets do it March 20th. 3 PM Eastern Standard Time. 2 PM Central Time. 1 PM Mountain Time and 12 noon Pacific time. Else where in the world anytime you can.
Im in
Fire Flame Sky Gas Pollution

·
Super Moderator
17,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Moose are you going to fire this year?

Anyone else?

Since I have finished the Bowling ball mortar, I will fire it. I am looking at the Parrot rifle and hoping I can have buttoned up enough so it can be shot. The Napoleon of course Not sure about the Cairo Gun, probably. I have the South Bend Carronade, that I have never fired.

Guess I better get busy and start loading blanks.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Moose are you going to fire this year?

Anyone else?

Since I have finished the Bowling ball mortar, I will fire it. I am looking at the Parrot rifle and hoping I can have buttoned up enough so it can be shot. The Napoleon of course Not sure about the Cairo Gun, probably. I have the South Bend Carronade, that I have never fired.

Guess I better get busy and start loading blanks.
Making plans to join in.
GLS

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Pondering. Publishing the video is a challenge without a YouTube account. It would be fun to put a couple pellets downrange with the Mtn Rifle.

Backstop at farm is 100 yds. Need to swap front sights as the Rifle is sighted in for 200 yds with the Minie ball projectiles. Gun never seen a blank charge.

·
Super Moderator
17,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check the privacy settings for YouTube, you can control who see's it and how they see it. It in that sense is no different that Fototime. The only thing is Youtube converts your video to a more useable format for Viewing.

You have a lot of control over your video. A lot more control than we had with Fototime and definitely more than the so called free or semi free sights.

You can be a YpuTube Star of just share wit the family. Your Choice.

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Will have to see how things are going come spring . It is kind of a long space between New Years and 4th of July. Not sure what our police chief would think about more noise . He is good with New Years and 4th of July.

·
Registered
76 Posts

View attachment 257475

So lets do it March 20th. 3 PM Eastern Standard Time. 2 PM Central Time. 1 PM Mountain Time and 12 noon Pacific time. Else where in the world anytime you can.

View attachment 257475

what did you pack the mortars with to get the pretty good boom?
What did you pac

·
Super Moderator
17,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mortar had reduced chamber and forward portion of the barrel works as an expansion chamber reducing pressure of charge be for it leaves the barrel. Thunder mugs are straight cylinders.. Charges are also larger in thunder mugs. Mortar charges are small.

If you want loud use a thunder mug

·
Registered
423 Posts
Will have to see how things are going come spring . It is kind of a long space between New Years and 4th of July. Not sure what our police chief would think about more noise . He is good with New Years and 4th of July.
There is a benefit living in the coastal zone on the Atlantic flyway, with sea duck and goose season running from Nov 1 to mid February, some target practice with the mini cannon in the backyard is not even paid attention to.

·
7,278 Posts
... March 20th. 3 PM Eastern Standard Time. 2 PM Central Time. 1 PM Mountain Time and 12 noon Pacific time.

Since "spring forward day" is March 13 this year, this should not have any reference to Standard Time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts