Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would appreciate some ideas on Roosevelt elk rifles. For the most part, the elk are found in a "jungle" along the coast. Short shots are the rule but there is the occasional opportunity out to 200 yards. I am now leaning toward making my Savage .243 a switch barrel and getting a .358 Winchester barrel. That would be the low cost option. A 45-70 would be better for the short range shots but not so good for the long ones. I handload. I have a very nice old Springfield sporter (gunsmith built) in 30-06 and could rebarrel it for .35 Whelen but that would cost as much as a new rifle and I would prefer to not change the rifle. I suspect that a used lever gun in .358 probably brings a pretty penny now. Any .358 shooters or Roosevelt elk hunters out there? Other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I grew up in Monmouth and hunted the valley and the coast range quite a bit. Your sure right about the jungle. Cartridges are easy, 7mm-08, 308Win, 358 Win all work. I'd even say the 260 Rem and 6.5x55.

What's most important tho is the rifle and scope itself. My favorite rifle scope combination was my old Rem 660 with a 20" barrel and a 2 3/4 Redfield scope. It's been taken over by my son! Now I have a new Model 70 Featherweight with an old 1-4X Redfield in 6.5x55.

While there's a mess of cartridges that work, in that stuff what is really needed is a rifle that handles really well and a scope that really really gathers light with a wide field of view.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I think that I would just stick with the 30-06 that you already have. Of course, if you are looking for a reason to buy another rifle, well, more power to ya! Enjoy! :D

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
A properly loaded '06 will take any elk on the planet. HOWEVER, don't let that stop you from buying another gun!! :grin:

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
If your Savage is a short action the idea of the .358 or maybe a .338 Federal barrel would be fun. If its a long action like the new Axis / Edge rifles you could go with either of the short cartridges or with a 35 Whelen barrel.
I would hunt with the one you like the best. :D Jedman

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
As said, if short action, go with the 358 or 338 Federal. If long, 35 Whelen. Of course, a good 200gr Partition in a 30.06 is a beast in its own right! However, I think just the project of making your rifle a switch-barrel would be a great experience and learning opportunity. Life is too short for "make do".
I had a little Browning BLR in 358 last year, but it was (a) expensive, yes and (b) did nothing my 35 Whelen Ackley Improved couldn't do, ha. I really like the 358, but my .35 Whelen AI has spoiled me. I've shot many elk sized plains game with 250X and later the 200X; from 30ft to 347 yards, it is a jewel.
I like the Barnes, but the magazine in the BLR required I used the 200TSX and not the Tipped version. No biggy, but a Barnes X of any kind is a humdinger in any elk round, IMO. I say go for it!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I also wanted to ask if you had considered handloading your 30.06 with something like the Woodleigh 240gr PP (the one made for 30.06 velocities) All you need is something like 2200fps and you are good to go!
Save time and money, but hey, nothing like the present to try something with a fatter bullet! The 338 Federal has more factory ammo available, but handloading a 358 or 35 whelen is super simple. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I like your switch barrel idea, but there almost an unlimited number of cartridges that will kill an elk here on the coast.
I have used a model 70 in 7x57, a twin to your 7/08, .338 mag., 300 weatherby, and oh, that all time great 30/06.
Best, probaly the 338 mag, but I have had 5 different ones and curently own none.
My favorite latley has been my 300 weatherby with a 200 grain load.
I have seen 358 winchester used on moose, so it would work well for elk.
It comes down to what do you want to hunt with. Good luck!
Keith

·
2,547 Posts
Couldn't think of a better rig then a BLR in 358 win loaded with noslers, and topped with a low powered variable scope. Sort of like my favorite Maine deer rifle... ;D

Larry

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ditto the "bigeasy". I also have a BLR in a .358 Win and love it. It's a great 35 caliber and rifle combination. And because you reload, the readily available 308 family of cases can be shaped to .358 size. If you ever get one(BLR in a 358W), you'll have a tough time wanting to use another gun. She's just sweet!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sounds like a dilemma I once had. I hunt Western Or. too. A .358 is a fine choice, as good as anything else listed so far ! If you want to play switch barrel you will have fun. If you want a new BLR you will have fun. I used to have one. Good rifle but sold it mainly just because I have many rifles and just never used it much. I'd leave the Springfield an '06 if I were you. Buy or build a .358 if you can afford to. Just be sure to have fun, that's what its really all about. There is no such thing as the perfect gun.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have taken 2 Roosevelt bulls both with a rem. 760 in 35 whelen. the shots were close less than 50 yrds and quick. I have also taken 2 cows- my first elk w a 30-30(dont recommend it) and a 50 cal muzzleloader. Having a gun that is quick and accurate at a moments notice is important. I love 35 calibers both elk were one shot kills w the whelen.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
This thread started in 2006 and I assume by now the original poster has bought a rifle and gone elk hunting. You'd think he would have posted back here by now...

Tony

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
jedman said:
If your Savage is a short action the idea of the .358 or maybe a .338 Federal barrel would be fun. If its a long action like the new Axis / Edge rifles you could go with either of the short cartridges or with a 35 Whelen barrel.
I would hunt with the one you like the best. :D Jedman
Lots of good advice and ideas shared. (sorry I'm posting here late)

If I was hunting Mr Wapiti out to 200yds, both the .338Fed or .358Win would be excellent!

But so would the '06 like was also mentioned,

and also the .35 Whelen if a fellow was determined to still use a MEDIUM bore. ;D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts