Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,530 Posts
Got one in 357 and one in 44 Mag. Done nothing to them, both accurate as ****! Love 'em both! ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,598 Posts
.


I had two 16" Big Loop carbines - a Rossi/BrazTech in .38/.357 & the other an earlier Rossi/LSI (Legacy) in .45 Colt.


I installed a drop-in, safety replacement, bolt-top peep sight on the .45 by adapting Skinner LoPro to the rifle's bolt.








I installed a Williams 5D-94AE receiver sight on the .357 via drilling/tapping one hole in the top of each receiver sidewall, just ahead of the locking lug recess.




[img]



Both carbines resulted in peep sights that mounted low enough to readily zero using the issue height front sight.


On the .357, I also swapped out the BigLoop lever with another forum member for his a standard loop lever - and also shortened the magazine tube to a "button" mag.

I further filed out dovetail filler blanks, from old longleaf rear barrel sights, to fill the barrel dovetails, vacated when I removed the rear bbl sights for a clean sight picture.


[img]http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r431/pwawryk/DSCN0461.jpg







.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
I have a Braztech/Rossi/Taurus R-92 that I got a couple of years ago. It's a .45 Colt in stainless with a 16" barrel. When I got it new, it was a little rough internally, but a little work got it working quite properly and really smooth to operate. I've had good luck shooting some heavy loads using a Sierra 300 gr. JSP, and Hornady 250 gr. XTPs. So far, everything I shoot in it gives good results. I average 3" groups with either of the aforementioned loads at 100 yds. using open sights. it's the slickest little carbine that I've ever owned, so I'm saving up to buy another with a longer barrel to scope in the same caliber. I like 'em..........

If you get one, get the Shop Smith stainless steel magazine follower, and replace the plastic factory version with it. The plastic ones seem to develop problems over time,.......according to the internet. Still, I replaced mine as I don't like plastic parts on my guns, if I can help it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
I'm very happy with mine. 16" SS 357. I've added the lighter ejector spring and hammer spring, no other internal work and it's very smooth. Shoots jacketed bullets at magnum velocities into a inch or less at 50yds, cast is normally a little bigger groups. I use the factory scope rail for a Burris FastFire III red dot, and use this for load development and probably hunting this year.

My only complaints are the loading gate seems to have a sharp edge inside which will sometimes grab swc or wfn profiles, but round nose and XTPs slide right through. The other profiles can take a little jiggle to go in right. Also, the front site, when the gun is sighted in, is off to one side about 1/8". Not an issue for any reason other than cosmetics.

Its great for walking in the woods or plinking at the range. Very enjoyable to shoot, but the really heavy loadings (180gr WFN at 1700-1800fps) can smack your shoulder hard with the steel buttplate. I use a slip on pad or my PAST for load development of those hot loads.

Thanks,
Terry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
terryrudd said:
I'm very happy with mine. 16" SS 357. I've added the lighter ejector spring and hammer spring, no other internal work and it's very smooth. Shoots jacketed bullets at magnum velocities into a inch or less at 50yds, cast is normally a little bigger groups. I use the factory scope rail for a Burris FastFire III red dot, and use this for load development and probably hunting this year.

My only complaints are the loading gate seems to have a sharp edge inside which will sometimes grab swc or wfn profiles, but round nose and XTPs slide right through. The other profiles can take a little jiggle to go in right. Also, the front site, when the gun is sighted in, is off to one side about 1/8". Not an issue for any reason other than cosmetics.

Its great for walking in the woods or plinking at the range. Very enjoyable to shoot, but the really heavy loadings (180gr WFN at 1700-1800fps) can smack your shoulder hard with the steel buttplate. I use a slip on pad or my PAST for load development of those hot loads.

Thanks,
Terry
Take it apart, and do a little light stoning or wrap some emery cloth or crocus cloth around a small dowel, and work over the edges of the loading gate port, and the front edges of the loading gate. That should help. I did notice on my old junky Interarms Rossi .357, that the area around the mag tube where it enters the receiver is really small compared to large caliber Rossis. You might try a fluff and buff to that area if you can figure out a way to get inside there to do it. A bullet shaped fine rotary stone in a drill may do it. Anyway, on mine, the point of the bullet always seem to hit that area when it was being loaded, and a slight angle change might do it some good. Otherwise, the light stoning of the loading gate might help a lot with your loading dilemma. Good luck.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
Thanks Lpete. I've thought about doing just that. Probably next time I strip the action, after deer season. I feel like its where the mag tube/receiver come together , and they're hanging up on their way in the tube.

I've never had an issue getting 4-5 in before calling it "plenty" for hunting or range use. But it would be nice to get it smoothed out so everything goes in as easy as the WWB 38spl round noses, to use the whole capacity.

Thanks,
Terry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input guys, I had been kicking it around for awhile and been doing some research and with the crap work on the "remlin" rifles I think a 1895G is on hold until they get there crap together. Now the real question, 45colt or 44 mag. Brass doesn't seem to be a issue around here. I would like to get a good heavy load maybe even for black bear? I know 44 will do the job but I don't think the 45 colt is anything to sneeze at? Right?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,611 Posts
ebonitekid767 said:
Thanks for the input guys, I had been kicking it around for awhile and been doing some research and with the crap work on the "remlin" rifles I think a 1895G is on hold until they get there crap together. Now the real question, 45colt or 44 mag. Brass doesn't seem to be a issue around here. I would like to get a good heavy load maybe even for black bear? I know 44 will do the job but I don't think the 45 colt is anything to sneeze at? Right?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RIGHT!!!

As long as your a handloader. (Good loads are offered if you can find and or afford too)

Get the real deal not the upstart poser 43 magnum. ::) 45 COLT can do all the 43 can, and exceed it in strong/ modern guns.

CW
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,611 Posts
STD 45 colts are fun too, cheap to load and great training... Super hot loads are NOT required either! (If recoil is a concern) Your dealing with a 45+ diameter bullet.

A lead 250 ish SWC at moderate velocities will drop any whitetail the good lord created. Yet not beat you, the gun or your brass up

CW
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,743 Posts
I have it in .454 Casull. It is probably my favorite gun. Good size and seems built well. I love the .454 as it is the only one that comes with both side gate loading and a removable tube (like .22lrs are) so you can load more at once and it is easier to unload. Kicks like a mule with full house .454, but shoots easy with 45 colts.

Rosewood
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,450 Posts
Ebonite,


If you get the 22 inch rifle, please post about it. I got really interested in this rifle, but the more I read, the more reluctant I got. Many reports of the 44 version having the magazine tube jump forward two inches after just 10 shots or so. (Requires, drilling, pins and screws to fix the problem.) Also, the typical problems of the roughness of the action and poor wood to metal fit.


And, it just galls me that the company won't sell you a single part, such as an ejector, if your's breaks. You must pack up and send the entire rifle back to them for even the most simple repairs.


So, I'm currently fence sitting.


Maybe you can post a review that covers those issues.


Thanks, Mannyrock
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
Mannyrock,

In my experience with Rossi (on a revolver, not a rifle) is that they would ship the individual parts, but you had to pay for them. The only way to get the free replacement under warranty was to send in the gun. Ended up paying for a crane retainer screw that rattled out while shooting.

As far as the rough action, mine is plenty slick with just the lighter springs I installed. The ejector spring had an amazing impact on how the gun felt, so much so that I've never watched the Stevez Gunz DVD I bought for more internal polishing.

This rifle has the best factory trigger I've purchased. Was a hair over 4lbs with the factory spring, now its about 3.5 with 0 creep.

At this price point there are a few rough spots, but I've become a big fan of this gun over the 15 months. Good luck this Christmas!

Terry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
terryrudd said:
Mannyrock,

In my experience with Rossi (on a revolver, not a rifle) is that they would ship the individual parts, but you had to pay for them. The only way to get the free replacement under warranty was to send in the gun. Ended up paying for a crane retainer screw that rattled out while shooting.

As far as the rough action, mine is plenty slick with just the lighter springs I installed. The ejector spring had an amazing impact on how the gun felt, so much so that I've never watched the Stevez Gunz DVD I bought for more internal polishing.

This rifle has the best factory trigger I've purchased. Was a hair over 4lbs with the factory spring, now its about 3.5 with 0 creep.

At this price point there are a few rough spots, but I've become a big fan of this gun over the 15 months. Good luck this Christmas!

Terry
That sounds like what mine did, only I didn't install a spring set, as I felt it wasn't needed. The factory ejector spring throws 'em out at my feet. I feel that there was no need for less spring in that department. I may hate it after the next range trip, but right now, it's great, and wouldn't trade if for a minty pre-64 Model 70......it works that good.......
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,611 Posts
My local shop had about 6-8 of these... different barrels and calibers. sts and blue. I have handled them dozen times. If one was a 454 I would likely buy. But I have three 45 colt, one 357mag, one 41 Mag and two 44-40 Marlins that I only use occasionally....

I had a real winchester 92 and sold it.

CW
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
i have a 16"trapper M92 in 44 mag and a 357 with a 24" octagonal barrel .i've done nothing to the 44mag but shoot it. i've put way over 500 rounds through it with no problem .on the 357mag it was really stiff cycling the lever when i got it . i had to deburr the bolt and the locking bars .now it's very smooth. my 357 is also picky about the over all length of the cartridge.factory 357mag ammo works great to use 38spl [ i was using 38 spl cases for cowboy action shooting] the oal needs to be 1.575 to1.590.if i do my part the 357 rossi will shoot a 5 shot group just over 1.5 inches.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top