Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
I like them but for two problems... My dismal accuracy with the entire line when they first where released and the 700+$ retail sticker! :eek: :eek: :eek: ::)

Good luck with it! I wish that the mag was long enough for it to become a MAXI... How cool would a bolt 357 maximum be!!! :)

CW

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. we haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but I'll let you know what we think of it when we do. He said that after he traded for it another dealer offered him $800 cash. My son said that everyone at the show told him that the one he has is rare. No idea why. My son said it has the old Mauser style flip safety so I'm guessing it's the early model.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, we shot the little Ruger today. I was quite impressed with it as was my son. It's a realy fun firearm to shoot and accuracy was actually better than expected. We sighted it in, after mounting a Nikon 3 x 9 x 40 scope, and we shot a variety of .357 mags and some .38 Spec. +P loads at about 60 yards. The .357s patterned well but it was a real tack driver with the .38s. We decide that it's a for sure keeper and wouldn't mind finding another one. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
When i was on the hunt for a .357 rifle, i was torn between this and the Rossi M92 in stainless..
I went with the Rossi, its a real fun gun, being a lever gun and is fairly accurate.
Now im back again gaining interest in the Ruger M77 357.. Something about that rifle reaches to me..

·
Registered
585 Posts
Always wanted one in 357, I had one in 44 mag and the best anyone could do with it at 100 yds was 4 inches with a 2 - 7 x 33 Leupold scope,so i know it wasn't just me. I rebarrelled it into a 357 x 44 Bain & Davis and now it will shoot an inch or less at 100 yds.

Steve.......

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Most of the early reviews I read on this rifle all said the same thing: 4 inch groups (or worse) at 100 yards with factory ammo. Of course, being gun rags, they all tried to dress it up nicely by saying something like "about what you would expect from a nice carbine," or "plenty accurate enough for a hard-hitting woods gun."

But for me, $800 is just way way too much for a 4+ MOA hunting rifle of any type.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
My oldest son and I both have one of these little rifles.

My son, the 77/357 and mine is the 77/44.

A couple things I'd suggest for owners is shimming the two piece bolt and the addition of a Volquertsen target trigger sear.

I needed to return to the factor trigger sear spring as the Volquertsen sear and their spring made the trigger not only very crisp, but overly light.

This is compared to the factory 2 ton trigger pull.

With the Volquertsen sear and the RUGER sear spring it is about right. Still a crisp trigger but heavy enough to be safe. I don't have a trigger scale, but I think the trigger pull was sub one LB. with both Volquertsen parts installed.

My rifle WILL be a cast bullet shooter, with the goal of sub 4" - 100yd groups.

I need to do more load development, but I'm already close or below that goal.

My bolt required a .004 bolt shim while my son's took a .003 shim.

There MUST be some play in the two piece bolt or it will not close, so it is a matter of trying until you come to the correct fit. Really quick to install or change the bolt shims, so that is no big thing.

Triggershims.com has the kits.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Indiana said:
Wish that 77/44 had a better reputation for accuracy sure wanted to buy one but just saw to many people having issues with them.
Mine was a 4-6" 100 yard gun with a Good rest and a 4X Leupold M8 scope. I TRIED to like it... I failed.
CW

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
Hey guys - if you aren't getting any great accuracy out of either your 357 or 44 Ruger rifles, try firelapping the bore ala Beartooth Bullets or Veral Smith.

Ruger makes their rifles and barrels out of fairly hard stainless steel, which means that any imperfections in the bore, like machining debris or sharp edges on the lands, or the roller effect some barrel cutters leave in the grooves, or stampings on the outside of the barrel that leave micro obstacles in the bore, are going to put your accuracy somewhere into the next neighborhood. And, if Ruger is anything like the way Marlin used to be, that is they would make their pistol caliber barrels oversized and it is/was tough to shoot a good cast load, then you will have to slug the barrel for the proper diameter and load to match but, I believe that if you firelap/borelap the barrels your rifles will shoot much more accurately.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just bought a 77/357 last week. I noticed a new one sitting at a LGS and it was $656 and I took it home, I've always wanted one. Fit and finish is awesome. I just installed the Volquartsen sear and spring, the trigger is great now. It came with a nice pair of stainless scope rings and I had a 2-7x32 not being used so I mounted it up, perfect fit. Taking it out Sunday morning and see how she does, hopefully well.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My gun is a mostly stock gun for the trigger and barrel, have shot maybe 1,200 rounds through it in the last year. Its a featured topic on my blog as ongoing load developments and bullet designs are tried. Everything from 75gr wadcutters up to 225gr keith style HP's have been tried. in fact I've messed with about a dozen and a half different cast bullet designs and some swagged bullets in this carbine. Few give very poor results but those that shine really shine. I could go on but a lot of what I already know is in writing in the links below.

http://wonderwolfs.blogspot.com/2015/12/ruger-77357-accuracy-with-125gr-38.html

http://wonderwolfs.blogspot.com/

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Ok here is my tale of two Rugers.

Few years back I bought a used 77/44 with luepold scope for use in our Deer season. I loved the way this carbine handles in the woods and from a stand. Small, light and wicked fast shouldering. However, that thing would not group for nothing. It did not matter what ammo I tried, factory or hand loads. 6 inches at 50 yards was the best I could do over a five shot group. The first round poi was decent enough for minute of deer so I did use it one season. The only deer I shot that season fortunately was at about 7 yards. So it served its purpose.

I sold it and with the money bought a H&R in 44 mag and 357 mag with money left over to buy scopes and ammo. Both of those rifles are shooters especially the 357 when I reamed up to max and has been a deer killing machine since. No regrets.

Fast forward to last week. A LGS has had 2 77/357s on their shelf going on 2 years now. Brand new. The pricing was not out of line for what I saw them going for and I admit I have been tempted for some time to pick one up and try again. Well I was trying to save enough money to buy something completely different, but someone else beat me to it before I could get the funds secured and by the time I had said money in hand I made the mistake of walking into the above LGS a couple of days before New Years. Started talking with the manager about how I was surprised they had not moved the 77/357s in the 2 years I knew he had them. He could not understand it either. So I told him on whim, if you get the price right and make want to buy one I'll do it right now. Well at 560.00 bucks he had my complete and undivided attention. So I bought it. Had to wait until New Years Eve to sight it in. I was very pleased. No matter what ammo I used it was grouping at about 1.5 inches at 50 yards with most going to same poi. What a difference. So I threw a Redfield Revolution scope on it. Sighted it in and took it hunting New Years Day. I do believe this one is a keeper.

Here is the result in another post:
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/indiana/special-antlerless-season-313004/msg1100014044/#msg1100014044

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
It could be a dynamite combo no doubt. If in fact Ruger fixes accuracy problems!!

Glad to read you got a shooter!!

CW

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
cwlongshot said:
It could be a dynamite combo no doubt. If in fact Ruger fixes accuracy problems!!

Glad to read you got a shooter!!

CW
I think this may be a symptom of the original 77/357 and 77/44. I have a new production 77/44 and it shoots around 1" at 50 yards with a red dot scope. Most other reports I have read were promising as well. I recently purchased a Bushnell Banner 1.5-4x32 to put on it. It didn't take long to get tired of the red dot going to sleep.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, my son carried the .357 to a gun show, traded it, and came home with the same gun in the .44 mag. Should be a better deer gun. Yet to shoot it but will let ya'all know the verdict if it's a keeper or not. :)

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Either the 357 or 44 will kill deer granting good shot placement quickly and efficiently. But there is no harm in trying to find out for one self. :) That is part of the fun. 8)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.