Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have roughly 3,000 .452 255 grain lead bullets molded,powder coated for my 45 Colt guns. Some of them are mixed with linotype and test around 20-22 bht. I'd sure like to load my 450 Bushmaster with 12-15 grains of Unique with these hard 255 grainers then shoot deer with them.

They would be plenty of thump for deer and easy on my retirement funds as well.

Are any of you guys rolling your own 450 ammo with cast bullets?

·
22,263 Posts
sure would work on deer out to a 100 yards but if your gun is like my buddys 450 American I really doubt there going to run smoothly. About the only bullet that does is that Hornady pointed plastic tipped bullet. But for deer hunting it wouldn't be that much of a disadvantage just to single load them.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to try it. I bought 100 brass at Brownell's last night and went home to start the process and realized that I in fact did not have any 450 Dies. I thought sure that I bought a set when my son bought his 450 AR but they aren't on the pile. I looked through my Brownell's receipts and none of them show that I bought any dies. Old and senile is what I have become. Tonight after work or at lunch I will remedy the die situation.

I am going to try not crimping them at all. Just take the bell out and leave the case straight. I do it all the time on light 44 mag and 45 Colt loads and never have any problem with the bullets in the remaining cylinders moving in the case under recoil. Hot loads are a different story. I don't see recoil being a problem with a 250 grain slug leaving the bore at 12-1500 ftps in the 450 Bushmaster. If I am wrong I will taper crimp them a bit. Also I only bell them enough to prevent lead shaving as they go into the case. I have come to learn that the less belling/ crimping that one does the longer the case will last before splitting at the mouth.

Last year I took a 30 gallon drum full of spent brass pistol cases to the salvage yard. It was my 40+ year accumulation of cases with split mouths from multiple reloadings. I know some guys anneal even pistol cases, I am not one of them.

I have had so many guns in my lifetime that it's hard to get excited about a new one but this 450 Bushmaster has me anxious to play with it for some reason. I guess it fits into a niche that I need to fill. A straight wall bolt gun for hunting deer in Iowa. I like the way it feels too!

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I got some of my own powder coated cast bullets stuffed into some of those 450 Bushmaster cases. I started out with 10.5 grains of Unique and loaded 5 rounds increasing the charge in .2 grain increments at a time until I got to 12 grains. 12 grains should get me 13-1400 fps out of the 16 inch barrel. If they will shoot into 2 inches at 100 yards I will be satisfied that I have a good hunting load. I can shoot no better than 2 inches @ 100 yards in a hunting type situation anyway.

I will put my rounds to the test this weekend and let you know how it went.

·
Premium Member
16,456 Posts
I have been hunting mine all week

Im using a Lyman Gould Express bullet @ 330g HP on top Of 30g 5744 fpr a vel from my 16” bbl of 1580 avg.
The accuracy is stacking bullets @ 50 and about 1.5 out @ 100.

I cast then in WW and powder coat them. I tried to load to suggested 1400 fps but accuracy was poor. Once I hit 30 they tightened right up!

I have a number of appropriate molds. All shoot good some very good. Nothing lighter then 290g nothing heavier than this 330g

Only bullet that causes feeding issues is the LEE 300 WFN. And that one will feel If I stuff it deep.

The Lyman 457191 and this 457121 are both excellent.

CW

CW

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback cwlongshot. A larger mold may be in order if these won't fly straight. I have a full five gallon bucket of ingots left in the shop. These 250s shoot real well in my 45 Colts so it isn't like they will go to waste if they don't work in the 450. I am not at all opposed to going to one of the Lyman molds if that's what it takes to make it shoot well and I'm pretty sure a bigger boolit won't matter to the deer either cuz dead is dead. I love the platform that composes this little Ruger American.

Thanks for the tips!

·
Premium Member
16,456 Posts
I have a few squirreled away Speer 260 HP boxes. I loaded up some under a healthy charge of #9. MOA was result & 2200 fps...

NOT a deer bullet at lhat speed as they worked great thirty years ago on deer @ 1100 fps... But ill smack a coyote!!

I tried a few 250 ish and altho nothing shot badly. A 300+ @ about 14-1600 shoots very nice and is less recoil that factory too

My second load is a 225 Copper HP. U der #9 for 2350 fps. Shoots touching @ 100 and very light recoil.

Dinny shot some into his bullet box and nose pedals came off @ 2200 impact vel. But good pen depth! The bullets are made by Magtech and designed for the 454. So my vel isnt crazy. Plus they where CHEAP!!!

CW

·
Premium Member
16,456 Posts
This first pic is the Lyman 290 & 330g

Second is a powder coated seated 330 Gould Express in a Bushmaster case. Sized .454.

Third is the business end of that 225g Copper HP

Attachments

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After 15 miles of walking after pheasants Saturday , Sunday and Monday I decided that it was time to sit down at the bench and shoot the 450 Ruger American.

I loaded a powder coated 250 grain bullet on top of Unique powder starting at 12 grains all the way up to 15 grains in increments. I didn't have a chronograph available for the day but wasn't really concerned with fps anyway. I am kind of primitive in my ways and have come to learn that any bullet that will shoot completely shoot through a red oak 6x6 will penetrate a deer from any angle. My Ruger Toklat and Bisley with 45 Colt +P loads will shoot through a red oak 4x4 but stop shy of making it clear through the 6x6 and they are running 1300 fps. these same bullets in the 450 blew through the 6x6 with 14 grains of Unique with with no signs of pressure. The primers were just starting to flatten on the top side but still rounded at the walls of the primer pocket. Since I am an old coot and not impressed by the latest and greatest that the gun rags write about I still used fixed power scopes for the most part. This 450 wears a like new Universal 4x scope that has been sitting in the gun room for 20+ years. They were as good as any in their day and still are in my book.

None of my accuracy results were real impressive but for a woods load they would be way more than adequate. Keep in mind that until 2 years ago we killed our gun season deer with shotguns/deer slugs and before the rifled barrels came to be the Foster slug in an IC barrel was as good as it got. I killed hundreds of deer with slug guns that shot no better than 4 MOA.

My range report....these are all 5 shot groups with no cooling in the 5 shot string. I did let the gun cool(bolt open) as I walked to the target and took measurements and sipped on my Coke between 5 shot strings.

Grains of Unique Group size at 75 yards(The wind was blowing like mad and I was shooting behind a pond dam
12 2.6 as a windbreak. The dam was 75 yards long and when I placed the
12.5 3.1 target 100 yards out in the open the wind blew it over twice so I
13 3.4 settled on shooting at 75 yards)
13.5 2.4
14 1.8
14.5 2.25
15 3.25

I also loaded up 8 rounds of SNS 250 RNFP with 15 grains of Unique as there were only 8 of them left in the box so I figured what the heck. With 15 grains they shot a 2.25 inch group at 75 yards(for 5 rounds)

The SNS bullet not only penetrated the 6x6 but went 5 layers deep in the 3/4 inch plywood scraps that I have layered behind the 6X6. They are one very hard bullet. Very little mushroom either. My cast bullets mushroomed to the size of a quarter after making a trip through the 6x6.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well crap, that's not at all what it looked like when I hit the submit button.

12 grains=2.6 inch group
12.5 grains =3.1 inch group
13 grains =3.4 inch group
13.5 grains=2.4 inch group
14 grains =1.8 inch group ...I can live with this group! Will try it again on a calm day!
14.5 grains=2.25 inch group
15 grains=3.25 inch group

·
Premium Member
16,456 Posts
Good deal!!

That will do What ever needs doin’!!

Im back in the stand with my 450 this am 330 hp chambered...

CW

1 - 13 of 13 Posts