Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
16,014 Posts
Ery nice! I also have an early model like yours. Great revolvers.

2,599 Posts
Dan, that is a beauty. I had one of the originals, but sold it. Kicked myself in the *** about it until the new model steel receiver version came out. Bought one, and it's staying. I like to stroll the woods / crop field edges with it, trying to catch cock birds unaware.

Larry

Bird Phasianidae Beak Galliformes Feather

· Administrator
25,943 Posts
Had two of the old ones many long years ago but sold both. One to my cousin and knowing him he likely still has it. The only Bearcat here now is one of the newer ones. I bought it several years ago for my youngest grandson. He likes it but doesn't shoot it very well so usually shoots one of my other .22s instead. Truth is I don't shoot it very well either. Old age might be a contributing factor in that. I guess I'd be dangerous with it to a critter to around 10 yards, maybe a bit more but not a lot more. At 25 yards these days with it in my hand a squirrel or rabbit would be perfectly safe.

Now my old S&W Model 17 with 8-3/8" barrel is a totally different story. A squirrel or rabbit at 25 yards better be ducking and diving or they will be in the pot. My Browning Buck Mark has a scope and from a rest I can put them in a squirrel's head all day at 25 yards and really out to 50 if I have a solid enough rest. I have a Ruger Single Six Convertible also with 9.5" barrel and me and it can really shoot also when I'm having a good day. Most of my other .22 pistols and revolvers have barrels too short for me to shoot well these days.

2,599 Posts
Between the tiny sights and small grip, they are a hard pistol to shoot well. It is a fun gun to take a stroll in the woods with, but If I am serious about bagging dinner, the Bearcat stays home...

Larry

· Administrator
25,943 Posts
Long, long ago, in a land far, far away. No wait that was Star Wars wasn't it. At any rate over 50 years ago I guess it must have been ago I had a couple of those older models. I remember one had the brass on it and I think I recall the other didn't.

I can't remember which of them but one shot almost dead on to point of aim for me and was a joy to shoot as well as to carry. The one I have here now for my grandson does not hit at all close to point of aim and in my hands isn't much good at 25 yards. I have some 8" falling plates at that distance and I can't hit them with it very often. I can hit the 12" plate maybe half the time.

With my Single Six 9.5" or my S&W M17 8-3/8" I can still hit 2" plates most of the time at that range and 4" plates pretty much every time unless I get careless and rush it. Even that is kinda pitiful compared to how well I shot in my competition days but then that was a very long time ago.

· Premium Member
16,014 Posts
I agree with Larry. Mine stays home too. The grip is mighty small For my XL Paws. The SS is still small but better ao I choose it over the BC. (Plus I get 22Magnum)
CW

· Registered
2,165 Posts
I bought mine in 1960, I think, $49.50 from the Western Auto in Lynchburg, VA. My first handgun and my first Ruger, many have followed it's footsteps. It was a fantastic little gun, but even my small hands found it a wee bit small, but then it was designed by Mr Bill to be that way. Soon acquired an older, used SS and found I could shoot it better. Sadly, later when I was in college, being stupid, I let the little guy slip away, bad day for me. Have almost replaced it several times, but never quite got it done. The newer models just didn't get it done for me once I'd had my hands on the original. Great find thar Bro...ENJOY... Walt

· Registered
4,465 Posts
I had one with the brass trigger guard and traded it for night sites installed on my glock and some hundred dollar bills. Besides, I like my old model single six better anyways.

· Registered
2,165 Posts
I bought mine in 1960, I think, $49.50 from the Western Auto in Lynchburg, VA. My first handgun and my first Ruger, many have followed it's footsteps. It was a fantastic little gun, but even my small hands found it a wee bit small, but then it was designed by Mr Bill to be that way. Soon acquired an older, used SS and found I could shoot it better. Sadly, later when I was in college, being stupid, I let the little guy slip away, bad day for me. Have almost replaced it several times, but never quite got it done. The newer models just didn't get it done for me once I'd had my hands on the original. Great find thar Bro...ENJOY... Walt
Saw two this weekend at a gun show. Both were the original w/ the brass 'n in the box, one was 6 bills and the other 61/2. I hadn't sold a thing, so all I could do was drool. Walt

1 - 15 of 15 Posts