Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friends brother was in financial straits, so I helped him out a little and brought home
a Ruger New Model Blackhawk 45lc/45acp convertible that was made in 1981. I shot one
of these about 7 years ago and it was pretty accurate. Looking forward to taking
this one to the range and trying it out.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You bought a very good and strong gun. If you have accuracy issues check the chamber throats, Ruger tends to send hem out undersized. I've had two that way. One was .449, the other .450 instead of the preferred .452. That's still better than being oversized as it can be corrected. One person on the Castboolits forum (Doug Guy) will ream the throats for $30.00 each. I just had both of mine (Colt and ACP) done by him.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Goldstar225 said:
You bought a very good and strong gun. If you have accuracy issues check the chamber throats, Ruger tends to send hem out undersized. I've had two that way. One was .449, the other .450 instead of the preferred .452. That's still better than being oversized as it can be corrected. One person on the Castboolits forum (Doug Guy) will ream the throats for $30.00 each. I just had both of mine (Colt and ACP) done by him.
I bought a new one last winter, and started developing loads. After about 8 months of working with this revolver, I have come to believe that it is the most accurate handgun I own. It'll shoot 2" groups at 50 yds., with its preferred load from a rest when I do my part. It shoots much better than my 7.5" Super Blackhawk. I feel that sometime in the last few years, Ruger has rectified that small chamber mouth problem. I like it so much, I'm thinking about getting a 7.5" version, and mounting a scope.

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
Goldstar225 said:

Could that be the cause of my GP100 being difficult to eject the brass? It's fine on 38spl, but even a factory 357 is hard to eject.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Argent,

Check the cylinder, If you need to, get a .375" bore brush and chuck it into a drill and work the end of the chambers. stuff might be caked into the end of the chambers, use a good powder solvent.

I find that I need to do this when I fire a lot of 38sp in a mag chamber, stuff gets caked in there and sticks the longer brass.

Paul,

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
Kmrere42 said:
Argent,

Check the cylinder, If you need to, get a .375" bore brush and chuck it into a drill and work the end of the chambers. stuff might be caked into the end of the chambers, use a good powder solvent.

I find that I need to do this when I fire a lot of 38sp in a mag chamber, stuff gets caked in there and sticks the longer brass.

Paul,

Thanks Paul I'll try that, it's an incredibly accurate revolver and great to shoot. Like they say stay with something that works for you and it does.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.