Graybeard Outdoors banner

Ruger Grip frame screws

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Graybeard 
#1 ·
I went an bought one of those Qualite brass grip frames for my .357 Blackhawk. I got it all set to put on my BH and went to take off the old alloy frame and them screws are glued in! This was bought brand new about a year ago so they are factory screws.

The screws that I did manage to take out gave a "snap" before loosening. I noticed each one had a little dimple in the threads with some reddish brown stuff in it.

After reading a thread on loose gripframe screws I'm guessing Ruger has been putting Loctite in there as I've shot several hundred rounds through it and never had the grip frame come loose. I have the opposite problem the screws are too tight.

How do you get those screws to come out? I already destroyed two screwdrivers.

#2 ·
Just pressure and patience. First, use good gunsmithing screwdrivers. Besdies lasting, they won't be as apt to twist out of the slot so as to mar any surfaces when they jump. Push in and turn. Yes in, it'll help keep the screwdriver tip in the slot. They will com eout.

#3 ·
Thanks. I guess I'll hafta invest in some proper screwdrivers. I see in Midway they offer a screwdriver set specifically to fit Ruger BH's. It's a 3 driver set for $30. Would that be the wisest choice? Or am I better off with something else?

Dang this is 'spensive.

#4 ·
You can get a complete set of good gunsmith screw drivers for maybe twice that price that would be a smarter investment. You might also want to use a hair dryer or paint remover heat gun to apply heat to help loosen the loc-tite. Some times hitting the end of screwdriver with a hammer a few times helps to loosen them also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.