Graybeard Outdoors banner

Ruger mark II opinions?

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Farmboy 
#1 ·
What are your guys opinions on the ruger mark II ?

#2 ·
Terry1,

Good, sound, solid, accurate rifle. The trigger sucks on most due to being set at the factory at 5 plus pounds and it's non-adjustable. Easy fix with a Timney adjustable trigger. Also Ruger has a real good customer service department should you need them. Go out of their way to make you happy with your purchase. Lawdog

#3 ·
I have one in stainless/synthetic configuration in .270win. It is very accurate. At a gun range, the gentleman next to me told me it was merely a pop-gun. Varmint shooter at best, not accurate either. "You need real velocity to be accurate" He was shooting a .30-378weatherby.
I demonstrated its accuracy by not only shooting the ten ring out of my target, but by shooting the numbers printed in each ring at 200yards. I asked him what kinda hunting he did. "Just deer of course." In minnesota, the only shots over 75yards are hayfields and logging roads. Neither of which were in his area. I think he had a case of Magnum-itis. Long story short...great rifle, great caliber selection. I also agree with the replacement Timney Trigger.

#5 ·
I think they are one of the best buys in a hunting rifle, solid, well made, and generally accurate guns. When you factor in the cost of rings and bases for competitors wares, the Ruger is quite a good buy. I venture to say that it is one of the most popular rifles in Alaska, you see lots of them in -06, 300 win and 338 win.

As far as the trigger comments, they are rough from the factory, but all the US made factory guns are heavy. It is not adjustable, but a good gunsmith can easily make a fine trigger out of it. I'm not a professional smith, but by polishing the sear and trigger, and installing an overtravel screw, I now have a nice crisp trigger release. It appears the newer guns have stronger trigger return springs, so a lighter spring may also be required. Remember, have a good smith tune it, you'll have a trigger as good as any replacement, at 1/2 the cost, and with less moving parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.