Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
ROA caps

I use Remington #10 on the Ruger Old Army and they fit the best. The sizes, as I see them, from smallest to largest are CCI #10, Rem #10, CCI #11, Rem #11. CCI #11 are just a hair loose, Remingtons are definitely, and CCI #10's seem to be too tight. Magnum caps were invented to light Pyrodex, which I have found does not burn as well in a muzzle loader, but is fine in a cartridge. (where it doesn't need magnum primers). The new Remington caps (since they changed the packaging graphics) are a bit hotter than they were and are definitely more reliable.

I loaded my Ruger Old Armies with 30 gr. of 777 with a Wonder Wad over the powder, it will hold 40, but not with a Wonder Wad. They recoil about like a 44 Special, and hit the steel target like a cartridge gun as well. Smokes a lot, dirty NOT. After a full 6 stages of Cowboy match, the gun looked like it had been shooting W231, with a whitish coating. The bore cleans instantly with MP7, and doesn't foul at all . There is far more residue from the caps than the powder.

The 777 is hot enough I hesitate to use it in my Remingtons at full charge. I am going to test it in 45Colt. At the current price of 777, I won't use it that much, or at least not shoot C&B that much in matches.

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
caps

Off subject...Howdy, we met on this site, probably, to answer your question from the other site.

Incidently, Piru's schedule is listed at holeinthewall.org.

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
bp

We have some shooters who shoot frontier cartridge or bp, and not always signed in for the class. Depends on the whim, I guess. I shoot percussion a few times a year. Right now I'm playing with the Kirst Konverter in Uberti 51 and 61 Navy, using 38 Special with hollowbase wadcutters with Titegroup, Bullseye and 231 as smokeless. Loaded a batch in Pyrodex, and froze the revolver in 2 shots!! I need to relube the Remington bullets with SPG, if they'll hold enough. The Hornady don't have grease grooves at all. I might try cleanshot and 777 to see if the lube problem goes away. I do like the look and feel of the open-top revolvers. Will load some 44 Special with black and Bear Creek bullets lubed with SPG and try it in the Cimarron 1872 Open-top. I has a cylinder extension/gas ring and oughta handle the fouling better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.