Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on buying one of these pistols by X-mas. But which one? From what I read it would be a toss-up between the two. I would like the pros and cons for these pistols from people who actually shoot these pistols. Thanks for the help. :)

·
Administrator
26,228 Posts
Kel-Tec it actually works. I think all the Ruger's have had to go back to the factory and even afterward I've still heard complaints on them. I believe the Kel-Tec costs less and works better. It is what Ruger tried to copy but fell a bit short of matching.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Kel-Tec P-3AT looks cheaper but mine always went bang when the booger hook pulled the bang switch. I am not a real big rugger fan, and GB is right Ruger has had a bunch of problems with the LCP...

·
Registered
373 Posts
We have had (the wife that is OK) 2 of those Ruger LCP's and 3 various KEL-TEC's! I personally think the Kel-Tec is the better choice at this present time. I like the PF-9 and still have one of them in the safe. You can NOT feed them a steady diet of HOT AMMO as they will not hold up. If you Limp Wrist those weapons, they will JAM in a hurry.

We had far better luck with the Kel-Tec brand of pocket pistol than the Ruger simply put. The accuracy on the one I have now, is very very good. I have shot 2.5 inch groups with Blazer ammo at 21 feet and it will shoot 4 to 5 inch groups with just about anything I try in the pistol, except hollow point ammo.

Self-Defense ammo I used was called Pow-R-Ball, it has a plastic insert inside the hollow point, that makes the nose of the bullet round. This takes care of any feeding problems period. That ammo in the 9mm Luger shoots a 100 grn. bullet 1430 ft per second with 483-lbs of kinetic energy.......nothing to sneeze at let me tell you.

Now what I don't like about the Kel-Tec's is that if you don't let that trigger come all the way forward when you fire a round off, it will NOT fire the next round. In the heat of a gun fight, this might be a problem, reason I carry a GLOCK that goes BANG everytime I pull that trigger regardless. Some Kel Tecs are picky about ammo used also!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I know of three Kel-Tec owners that had to send theirs back after the first clip of ammo at the range. When they came back all was well. (one 32 and 2 380s) I don't know anyone who bought the Ruger, so I can't say.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I bought the ruger lcp post recall back in late june. I fired about 100 rounds through it and never had a problem with it all. The store where I buy my guns, the kel tec was only 20$ cheaper. But the rugers have a over all nicer fit and finish I think. I believe the problem they had with the rugers was that when dropped the pistol would go off. My pistol has shot everything I feed it just fine. I believe the kel tecs doesn't have the slide lock like the rugers.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
We have both because the wife wanted a Kel-Tec, and it turned out to be the most unreliable handgun I have ever seen. It would jam with every kind of ammo we put through it except CCI Blazer. In all we put about 500 rounds through it, and it still jamed. So we got the Ruger when it came out. It has fired everything we have put in it without a hicup.

Of course, after buying two guns, I'm wishing she had wanted the .380 Sig to begin with and had a real gun that is bigger for sure, but dependable and worth the money.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I shot and carried the Kel-tec P3At all summer in a wallet holster. Ran about 200 rounds through it at the range and it was fairly reliable as long as you stayed focused and held it tight.

Never was a big fan of the looks though, my son has better looking cap pistols. I mean how much more would a metal trigger cost?

Sold it and now saving up for a Kahr p380 for next summer. In the winter I carry a Kahr P9 with muzzle break or my Taurus .45acp.

Doug

·
Registered
952 Posts
My wife carries the K-T .380, and although it's a good gun, I personally don't care for it. It just doesn't fit my hand very well. If you're looking for a comfortable, affordable, and reliable .380, check out Bersa.
GH1 :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
There was a slide recall on the P3AT a few years back. Mine was one of them. Sent it back and when it came back no problems at all! If I can't carry the 637 the P3AT is the best alternative. Works perfect.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I have a Kel-tec 380 that I carry as a pocket pistol everyday. I have fired Rem. and Mag-tec ball and some hot loaded reloads with 100 gr Speer HP and my everyday carry load Cor-bon 90 gr HP and it has never malfunctioned. The hot Cor-bon ammo shoots to the sights and packs much more of a punch than the Kel-tec 32 I had before they made the 380. BTW the 32 never malfunction either. I mainly shot Rem ball and Cor-bon hp in it. Like has been said you can't limp wrist them and expect them not to malfunction. I have some friends that have the Ruger and they have not had any problems with malfunctions. They have the laser sight on theirs. You put the red dot on where you want it to hit and it pretty much will hit there out to 20 yards or so.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I have a P-380, one of the early ones, and it has been 100% reliable with every type of ammo I could find. I did do the "fluff & buff" before I ever fired the first round but I have no complaints with it for what it is. I haven't fired a round from it in the past couple of years because it just really is not an enjoyable gun to shoot but that is true of all really small handguns. Any very light weight semi-auto does require a firm grip or they will malfunction since they have almost no mass below the slide but in a real life and death situation you probably won't be limp wristing the gun, more likely pressing permanent fingerprints into it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I know several guys that have the post recall Ruger LCP, and they all love it. I have a buddy that I shot his Kel-Tec, and didn't care for it, and neither did he. After about 2-3 boxes of ammo in it he sold it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have the Pre-recall LCP and love it. Always went bang before and after the fix. Turnaround was one week and got an extra mag and hat out of the deal. The crimson trace laser makes it easy to hit with at combat distances.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.