·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
i dont understand the design.
its a bolt gun, so why does it have forend like that ? its not a 'run and gun' rifle.
and an auto style bolt face ?
and the AR platform grip angle and lower , on a bolt gun ?

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
read the article. explains it pretty good. Kind of looks like the really expensive Colt guns made by McMillan

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
Looks very interesting.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no doubt that a .308 version will be in my collection not long after they hit the market. I have a Ruger buying illness....

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
have 2 LGS on the search for a 308 version

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
I've been wanting a GAP in 6.5CM for over a year but couldn't justify the price with the options I wanted. I wonder when the Ruger's are gonna hit the streets???? For around $1300, I'm gonna try one out for sure.

peak98

·
Premium Member
3,611 Posts
Wonder if this is just a fad. I'm not convinced that lots of people will want an AR Bolt rifle. Fine with me if it is something you like, just doesn't appeal to me. Don't see any advantage for any style of shooting (hunting, plinking, target, defense). Sort of like a car or truck with a loud muffler. Sooner or later we outgrow it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The AR platform was/is the most popular rifle for quite a few years now, especially among younger shooters. The amazing variety of accessories and manufacturers allows for easy customizing. The new Ruger bolt action will fit right in with this trend.

deepwater

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To each their own. I for one like it and can not wait to get mine. the rifle has a butt load of custom options right out of the box. Better then trying to buy a standard rifle and building it to something similar.

Plus it is a Ruger, it will be built like a tank.

I have 3 Ruger Hawkeye rifles and they're all tack drivers and not much less money then the RPR. The RPR is exactly what I have been looking for to play around in extreme long range rifle shooting without killing my wallet.

BTW, there are quite a few similar "modular" bolt rifles on the market. Ruger I think is smart in keeping it around the AR platform \ look.

·
Registered
704 Posts
charles said:
But it is a bolt gun. Are you saying a bolt guns upper with interchange with an AR? Maybe it will but why would you won't to?
Oh, I dunno... Maybe to capitalize on the modularity and ease of accessorizing and repair of the AR platform, while maintaining the ergonomics that make it, in some hands at least, one of the easest of all rifles to shoot well away from a bench and rest, while eliminating the potential for accuracy-robbing vibration that comes along with semi-auto function via decompressing action return springs and a rather violent bolt motion on lock up?
I like the AR-platform for it's ergonomics. I find it one of the easest rifles to shoot from standing, sitting, kneeling, and prone -away from a bench and rest. I like the modularity of the design. It is customizable for a perfect fit. It is also easily repaired at home. This might not matter to people who are more in to owning guns than shooting them, but shooting with any degree of volume mandates parts wear and the need for replacement of worn parts. Of all if the AR's atributes, the one that matters the least to me as a civilian shooter is its rapid fire capability via semi-auto operation. Policing brass from the range after banging off 200 rounds is a pain with an AR flinging empties six feet to my right and another six to my rear. On the range I shoot on three times a week, I wouldn't win many new friends by letting my AR fling hot .223 cases down their shirts and on their heads. A manual action would allow some control over ejection, even if it were push-feed with a plunger ejector.
I surely can't be the only guy whose interest in the AR has virtually nothing to do with "home defense" or "end of rule of law" or "stuff hits the fan" and so on, but is primairly interested in the platform as a target rifle for position shooting. I can evnvision a bolt action AR-15 being perhaps easier on the wallet than a Tubb 2000 is but offering many of the same benefits that target rifle does.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what JP said!!!

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I read that a lot of the hotshot 1000 yard guys are using the old .243 Winchester in standard form with a long barrel. Shoottin high BC 105's to 115's comin out real hot. Flatter trajectory and less wind drift.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
The Ruger Precision Rifle is outstanding and is changing the long range shooting game. If it were available in a LH configuration, I'd own at least 2.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts