Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just double checking on rust removal from blued or stainless barrels is steel wool 0000 and oil the way to go.Any other pads to choose?:)

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
archerprf said:
Just double checking on rust removal from blued or stainless barrels is steel wool 0000 and oil the way to go.Any other pads to choose?:)
* Blued Barrels and actions: Use 000 or 0000 Steel Wool and gunoil

* Stainless Steel Barrels and actions: Use Scotch Brite pads and gunoil. (reason for NOT using steel wool is that the fibers of steelwool get imbedded in the stainless and end up rusting over again.)
**Many times this rusting is caused by contaminated industrial sand(quartz) blasting media that has been used on carbon-steel. The contaminated media imbedds microscopic particles of carbon steel in the surface of the stainless, causes the particles to rust.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Rust Removal

Instead of oil use Corrosion X. If I get a small spot of rust on a blued area, I spray on Corrosion X and rub it with my finger and fingernail. The spot will disappear in a minute or two, and the color at the spot will be near the color of the bluing. If you have a lot of rust, you have to use steel wool. You can order Corrosion X at www.shooterssafetyproducts.com 8)

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
Stainless steel isn't rust proof, it's rust resistant. I've used steel wool (0000) with a bit of WD40 many times and it will remove rust handily, leaving any blue that may remain(on blued weapons)if used gently. I've never seen any problem with steel wool leaving a residue on stainless that had any effect on rusting.. I prefer to use the stainless steel scrubbing pads found at grocery stores. They look courser than fine steel wool and are a bit 'curly' looking, but they are of softer material than the carbon steel in steel wool. So they are a bit gentler on the finish.. On stainless the problem is to match the finish you have created in removing the rust, with the finish already present on the weapon. One caution, the scrubbing pad I am refering to does NOT contain any soaps or detergents.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
gunnut69,
I must agree....and the ScothBrite Pads are very course also. They come in various "grits" but generally they are only found in these different grades for commercial applications. Most of them I see are green color, but there a rust colored also.

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
The pad I am refering to is used as a dish/pot/pan scrubber and is stainless steel. They are available from Brownells but the supermarket is cheaper!! It looks very course but the action is actually fairly soft. I use them all the time to polish the inside of shotgun tubes after alterations or just before returning after a cleanup job. Makes the customers happy when they see the shiney bore!! good luck from the gunnut69

1 - 8 of 8 Posts