Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

I've just bought an RWS Mod 34 including an RWS fixed power compact scope and mounts for $157. The gun seems to had been a return to Cabelas. I checked carefully at home and noticed that the scope was not mounted properly so I proceeded to straighten that up. After that, the rifle started to print groups under 0.5" at 10 yards. But after a couple of groups like that, the groups changed to a different point of impact. I noticed that the scope mount was getting loose so I changed the scope with a Bushnell 1" tube. The RWS is metric an the scope mount did not match the 1" exactly so that made it worse. I bought a millet 1" scope mount and that did the trick. The gun shoots like a dream now and the point of impact had not changed any more. Anyone have one of these rifles? How does it work for you?

Camba

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I've got one & it shoots about like yours. They seem to be well made. I haven't hardly shot mine enough to even break it in, but it seems reasonably accurate & powerful. I have an old 4x Leupold on mine. I'm happy with it.

I had previously purchased a "made in USA" benjamin/sheridan springer which I returned due to very poor workmanship, mediocre accuracy, a bit less power than advertised. It was my impression it was made in a third world country and "assembled in the USA".

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't wait to test mine on some squirrels or rabbits. Have you tested yours on game?

Camba

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Yes, I shot a rogue starling off my 1/10th acre preserve. It died honorably. I'm hoping some town crows become available as targets.

I haven't shot any rabbits or squirrels yet but I would expect it would completely penetrate squirrels with little effect & then they would die. Rabbits would proceed to hop around like little lunatics in their little death-dance. This speculation is based on previous experience in the past with similar guns.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nothing particularly fancy about the 34 (or it's sibling, the 36) but that's okay. It's been on the market since around the middle '80's and is a reliable workhorse. When a gun has been on the market for that long, you can be pretty well assured that all the design & material "bugs" have been worked out for a long time! There are alot of airguns in the same (and lower) price range these days but the RWS-34 has a WELL-EARNED reputation for reliability! Good choice!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The other day, I tried to see how deep would the 8.5gr pointed Crossman pellet go through in a 1"x1" stick. To my surprise, it went all the way through. The pellet was shattered after passing through the 1"x1" stick and hitting a telephone guide that was used as back stop. I try the same trick with my Maheley (Argentinian) .22 air rifle and it only penetrated between 1/4" to less than 1/2". I think the .177 will be taken for hunting when I get a chance. ;D

Camba

·
Registered
92 Posts
I bought one new last spring from Sportsman's Warehouse for $179. It came with both the adjustable RWS mount and some junk .22lr mounts. - After some messing with those mounts I picked up a BKL 1 piece mount and have been much happier. I have used mine mainly for hunting - last summer I took out over 200 rock chucks, 50 gophers, several jack rabbits, a skunk and multiple predatory birds. Mine is in .22 cal and shoots a Crossman Premier at 600 fps.

here's a pic of a few chucks taken last summer.

Over all a fun gun, but I wish I'd spent the money on a R-9. I also own a Beeman R-7 in .177 cal. - it is a way nicer gun overall, but does not have the power of the M34.

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
Centershot,

Where do you live? With all of that shooting available, I want some of the action! I have a 36 in .22. I used to have a problem keeping the scope, a RWS 2x7, in place, but have a good airgun mount and have epoxied the scope into it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I live in Twin Falls, Idaho - my hunting area actually contains the remains of Evil Knievel's jump site over the Snake River Canyon (and yes I have whacked several right off of the jump). The area is slated to be developed over the next few years, but till then I have one of the best chuck hunting areas on earth! It's warming up - the chucks should be coming out soon, I can't wait!

A BKL 1 piece mount has taken care of my scope moving problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts