Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a WTB 30/06 post on another forum looking for a non safe queen shooter. A guy PM'd he had this Smith & Wesson 1500 for just $250. I replied as long as it goes bang I'd take it sight unseen. So I picked it up on Sunday and was more then pleasantly surprised. The dang DNZ scope mount alone is $60. In my research I found that it was built by Howa for S&W and that they are very good shooters. I also found out there was a recall on the bolt. I called S&W and they said it is still active but that Howa was now doing it. Called Howa and they have shipped me a prepayed box and label to return the bolt for repair or replacement. The bolt works very smooth and it has a factory adjustable trigger. It's a well made gun. I ordered one of the new Redfield Rebel 4-12x40 scopes from Academy. Will update when I shoot it.

Musical instrument Wood String instrument Trigger Folk instrument

·
2,656 Posts
Howa makes that action used in a variety of different makers rifles, and it is a solid, proven design. It became well known in the Weatherby Vanguard series of rifles. I'll bet it will be a shooter. For 250 bucks, you about stole it...:)

Larry

Reactions: 45/70fan

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The scope has arrived. On sale, $10 off email, free shipping paid $96.51
Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel Wood

Reactions: 336ER

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks!! She's got some dings, but hey it's been hunted, I'd say 95% condition. I couldn't believe my eyes when he uncased it. Even with the scope I'm still just under $350. I will review the scope, hopefully soon.

Reactions: 336ER

·
Registered
Handgun Hunter, Target Shooter
65 Posts
You did very well. That should make you a top end deer rifle for many years to come. A buddy of mine has owned a 308 Heavy Barrel S&W for 30 years. It has always been a tack driver.

Bob R

·
Premium Member
3,611 Posts
Howa and Weatherby Vanguard are the same rifle. I have an old Vanguard from the late 70s that was made with control round bolt feed like the Mauser and old Mod 70s. Never seen another Vanguard with this bolt.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Got to do a quick, rough sight in. Shot a 2" group with 49.0 gr H4895 (max load in my old book) under a 150 gr Remington bullet. I see they have upped it to 51.0 gr now so I'll work up to that. Also came into a bunch of RL19 I'm going to load up. Every 30/06 I've had or been around likes max or near max loads, never had luck trying to pull back the throttle. The scope is bright and clear even on 12x. Positive click adjustments with no looseness. I'd say it's along the lines of the old Leupold Rifleman scopes.

·
2,656 Posts
It sounds like a nice rifle. H-4895 is a favorite of mine, especially in my .308 M1a's. A very versatile powder.

Larry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts