Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this .41 Magnum caliber but the more I read about it the better it becomes. It's a flatter shooting round, more penetration than the 44mag. When pumped up power wise it equals the 44mag. It's a proven winner. Why isn't it more popular than it is?? To me it seems it's gaining in popularity today then when it came out. These 41 Magnum owners seem to come out of the woodwork there's so many. We see guys seeking the s&w m58. Don't get left out on this awesome caliber. Thoughts?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have 2 41mag guns. a 657-3 hunter classic, scope mounted and a handy rifle. I learned early that hand loading was a must. Commercial ammo was very pricy. I load 210g Berrys Plated bullets with a max load of w296. They both shoot like a lazor. If I had to just keep one caliber, this is it. Pistol scopes on both.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Groo here
The 41 is the redheaded stepchild because it came last.
It is the best fit for the N frame smith or the smaller ruger frame. [every hear of one being worn out unlike the 44 mag?]

·
Premium Member
3,887 Posts
I'm a 41 fan and have several including a Marlin. My main reason to start was I needed a bear revolver in the mid 70's when the Dirty Harry fad made 44 mags unaffordable yet the few 41's were still on the shelf. And I'm not a real strong guy with light wrists and smallish hands. I got sick of carrying a 12 ga during work but wanted something.

I've never had to use mine defensively, shot 1 small caribou. Need to get way better before I do any more big game hunting.
Thinking of going on a pig hunt w the marlin.

I have shot a few rabbits with cast bullets - that was fun.

In some ways I'm not sure the 41 really can equal the 44 mag with the 300 gr bullets.
In brown bear country I carry the Corbon or Buffalo 265 gr cast - I can attest they are too much for small caribou and zip through with minimal effect if not well placed. I probably would have done better w 210 Hornady on that particular bou.

but ammo can be hard to find at times - reloading is the way and its what got me into it.

Sometimes I wish Hornady would load their XTP 210 in ammo - it might be a real winner.

and I wish Remington would still make thei 170 gr bullet - I had great accuracy with it - better than the Sierra version.

·
Premium Member
3,887 Posts
Oh yeah, and my first 41 was an original S&W 58 and do I ever regret letting that go.
Better carry gun than my 57.

I'd buy a stainless version of the 58 if it came out.
Currently I mostly carry my 657 Mountain Gun - jut right weight and size. Quite accurate and I really like it.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
I bought the first .41 mag that I ever saw. It was in 1967 a ruger BH with a 4&5/8 in bbl. always loved it but by no stretch of my imagination is it equal to a .44 mag, providing both are loaded too their max. It is very powerful but not that powerful, just accept it for what it is and you should not be disappointed. I have had many .44 mags and I like them very much.
As someone stated, reloading is a necessity unless you buy Buffalo brand. Starline has brass, win. factory 170 gr bullets are only loaded to 1250 FPS, not close to what they used too be loaded too or with handloads. I bought 2 boxes and they list for 25.00 for 20 rds.
I really like my Ruger but the recoil is close to the 44 SBH due to the lighter weight of the .41 and the heavy SBH but I still love it....and
if you buy one I am pretty sure you will too, I would suggest a 6 in bbl. for hunting. JMHO
safety first
HM

·
22,249 Posts
ive had many 41s. Even a 41 special single six. I had two 57s and a real nice 58 (the only one id like back) Right now the only 41mag I have is a custom clements old model 357 conversion. I guess to me the 41 worked fine on deer and pigs but it just didn't make sense. Its recoil and noise is close enough to a 44 that if you were blind folded and told you had a 44 you wouldn't be able to say no its a 41. It kills just fine but the 44 allways seemed to put a bit more smack on animals. The 44 allways had a better selection of good molds and brass was easier to find. to me its the opposite end of the cult following the 45 colt gets. Most want one because they think it makes them look like they know handguns (surely not saying that this is you) Shoot enough handguns and kill enough game and most gravitate back to the gun that really deserves the cult following, the 44. Why? because it just works and does it as good or better then anything else when your looking for a combo of power, bullet weight, recoil and accuracy. theres a reason why its the gun that the rest are compared to

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
1911crazy said:
I'm new to this .41 Magnum caliber but the more I read about it the better it becomes. It's a flatter shooting round, more penetration than the 44mag. When pumped up power wise it equals the 44mag. It's a proven winner. Why isn't it more popular than it is??
The answer for me is simple, it just doesn't live up to the claims, AT LEAST when it's compared to the 44 magnum.

That doesn't mean it's a bad round, it's just when you need max penetration/power, it's not up to 44 mag. level...at least in all the test "I did" with direct comparisons.

I had several of each, I still have the 44 mags...

DM

·
22,249 Posts
got to agree. It falls between a 357 and a 44 and IS NOT A 44 mag. I don't care how you load it you can load the 44 to a more powerful level. Ive seen diffences on game, even deer sized. Ive allways disliked wfns but use them in the 357 and 41 because there small enough in caliber that they get big improvements in killing power with using a bullet like a wfn with a large for caliber metplat. A 41 wfn has a metplat about the same as a 44 lfn or swc. Its also a caliber In not shy in using jacketed bullets in. One I really like in it is the 200 grain speer half jacket. Problem is I don't think you can buy them anymore. Yes I take a 41 out hunting occasionaly but my real working guns are 44s. The 41 just doesn't have a single advantage over the 44.
Drilling said:
1911crazy said:
I'm new to this .41 Magnum caliber but the more I read about it the better it becomes. It's a flatter shooting round, more penetration than the 44mag. When pumped up power wise it equals the 44mag. It's a proven winner. Why isn't it more popular than it is??
The answer for me is simple, it just doesn't live up to the claims, AT LEAST when it's compared to the 44 magnum.

That doesn't mean it's a bad round, it's just when you need max penetration/power, it's not up to 44 mag. level...at least in all the test "I did" with direct comparisons.

I had several of each, I still have the 44 mags...

DM

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The s&W 41 magnum shoots flatter, has more penetration over the 44 magnum.

I like the way the s&w m58 n frame handles the 41 magnum round. I'm new to the n frames. I been a 44 magnum guy for fourty years. I'm new to the 41 magnum too.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Where I think the issue starts is that in most cases the .41 kills just as dead as a .44.

And if that's true, why not choose the convenience of availability? Well I'll tell you why. Because you are contrary, you drink tea simply because everyone drinks coffee, you might just spend extra for a .327 fed. in your Ruger SP-101. Search out a M-70 featherweight in .257 Roberts, study up on the benefits of 6.5 Creedmore over 6.5X55, actually own a real .325 WSM and shoot it! Yet I digress.

You sir do not need to be predictable or sensible.

The weather is here, I wish you were beautiful

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I purchased 41mag brass, bullets, and new ammo after purchasing the m58 & m57. Dies & case trimmer. Just something different to play with and shoot.

Sometimes to break the boredom or doing the samey, same thing it's good to take another path that's not well traveled. I wanted a 41 mag for many decades. I have 44's.

·
Premium Member
4,540 Posts
Personally, I own a 4" model 57, three screw RBH and would buy a model 58 in a heart beat and have a deal going on a 7&1/2" RRH(if BATF ever gets in gear) and can tell you if you don't reload you'll miss the potential of the .41 magnum?
Steve

·
22,249 Posts
Load a 44 mag with the same weight of bullet as the 41 and the 44 will push it faster at the same pressure level. So it will in fact shoot as flat as a 41. As to penetration the 44 will handle 340 grain lfns at 1200 fps and theres not a 41 mag load on the face of the earth that will drive deaper then that load. I took third place out of about 75 rifles and handguns in penetration an the linebaugh semiar with that load and was competing against African stopping rifles, and 475 and 500 linebaughs and linebaugh maximuns. The 45 colt in a good gun will replicate that load but theres not way on Gods green earth that a 41 mag will. Most of that is just words buy gun writers that need to spin a story or bs that's passed on by guys that read it on the internet. Now that said the 41 isn't a bad round. Its plenty enough for clean kills on deer, black bear, and pigs which covers what 95 percent of hand gunners hunt. It will push a 250 to 1250 fps and that is the equivalent to real world factory 44 mag stuff that's been watered down over the years. But its not and never will be a 44mag.
1911crazy said:
The s&W 41 magnum shoots flatter, has more penetration over the 44 magnum.

I like the way the s&w m58 n frame handles the 41 magnum round. I'm new to the n frames. I been a 44 magnum guy for fourty years. I'm new to the 41 magnum too.

·
Registered
159 Posts
It is not "weight" one compares in penetration tests..it is Sectional Density. A 220 grain .41 is the same as a 240 grain .44. I'm not home right now but I believe a 300 .41 is the same as a 330 .44....

...so tell me again how an animal hit with a bullet of the same construction, in the same place, at the same velocity that are .019" difference in diameter is going to know the difference....

If you are new to .41s you may like this...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?276144-41-magnum-special-data-center

Bob

·
Premium Member
4,540 Posts
RJM. please show us some groups you get with the 300 grain .41 bullets and tell us what the velocity is with them? Pretty heavy for a .41 magnum, aren't they? IMHO, these at high velocities just beat up your gun and you without much advantage?
Steve

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've shot these loads from the above FA 654, Custom Gary Reeder 5.5", a 1980 vintage 57 4", Ruger Blackhawk, Marlin Carbine and a 657 8 3/8". They actually "beat up" a gun less than the equivalent load in a .44 Magnum as there is more steel around the chambers of the same style gun...no?

100 yards while testing those loads...

300 grain from the FA 654 6".

Seated backrest position...

5.5"....

250s from the Gary Reeder..

That's three hits in that one spot, one lower right and I pulled the last shot just off the plate low...

·
Registered
159 Posts
And no, one does not need a 300 grain bullet in a .41 Magnum any more than one needs one in a .44 Magnum.

I run 210-230 grain bullets between 950-1200 fps in most of my S&W and Ruger revolvers... I shoot the FA and custom Ruger at long range...like 800 yards and a heavy 250-300 grain bullet just works. And that is one of the benefits of the .41...less perceived recoil than the .44. And I have had lots as in over 20 .44s and none of them shot like the .41s.

Long Range shooting in Idaho, 2013....4" 57.

Mackay Reservoir 200-550 yards...

200 yard target...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Idaho 2014...

3x3' target....

780 yards to home...

From the bottom up...

Hits on target...

Bullets dug out by my little friend... Cast Performance 255 grain LBT GC and a home cast 240 RN...

A little extra weight helps...Bob

1 - 20 of 73 Posts