Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a revolver to shoot IDPA with, and am strongly considering the 625 (plus action job, charge hole camphering, timing, etc.).

I'd love to hear from some folks who have experience with this revolver.

Thanks,

·
Registered
143 Posts
Where to get a 4"

I have a 625-7 that just came back from the smith (it's 45 colt) and I love it.

There's a nice 625-5 in 45acp sitting in the display case at Tanner's Gun Store in Jamison PA 215-343-3103. Looks like it's a 4 incher.

These guys have some of the most aggressive pricing I've seen; but unfortunately I didn't get the # they were asking for this one.

Ask for Ray and tell him Aheimer sent you.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Excellent choice, the work that should be performed is as followed:

forcing cone trued honed and polished cut to 11* or 18* depending on bullet design choice, this will aid less bullet deformation when entering the rifling.

recrowning of the barrel, not all factory crowns are perfect or concentric with the bore.

polishing and chamfering of the cylinder, to aid in speddy reloading and quicker extraction. (ball & h.p. are slick when loading semi-wad cutters tend to be a tad slower due to the lip in the bullet design)

action smooth as butter yet crisp.(this one is the key)

single or double crane lock, aids in center locking of the yoke allowing for chamber alignment.

The above mentioned package will give you the shooters edge, leaving only operator error to blame for the miss!

If your not comfortable with your local smiths give me a call.

RON KONTOWSKY
ACTIONS BY R.A.K.
DEANS GUNSHOP II

·
Registered
143 Posts
I should have asked..

Before it took it in.

Ron that is great feedback. All I had done on mine was the action job. I'm going to have more work done down the road.

Mine is a performance center gun with slab side barrel, a Light Hunter.

Right now I'm trying to find a good bullet fit and it looks like I've got to go with .451's cause the .452's are too tight and I'm not quite ready to do the work on the chambers..$'s wise (got a new baby at home).

With the action job, it is very sweet. Triggers a little lighter than I like for field work.

Shootin' factory CCI/Blazers 220Gr pre action job, I actually got one group at 25 yards open sights .75. Could be because cylinder lock up is nice an tight on this one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a 625 with a 4" barrel, Model of 1989. It was a fun gun to shoot, but no more accurate than a 1911A1. The screws kept shooting loose, every once in a while a flake of powder would get under the ejector star and make the cylinder hard to turn (I was reloading with Unique back then). The full moon clips were a bother to unload, but at least you weren't chasing brass. To make a long story short. My 1911A1 was more convenient to carry, just as accurate and reliable as the 625, so I sold the 625 to someone who really wanted it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Coastey

That's a bummer on your '89 625; bad model year I guess.

The 625 is one of Linebaugh's favorite carry guns. He's got a whole article on why and what he shoots out of it.

My 629 circa '89 was a bit similar, although it still shot quite well.

Now this here one is a beaut. She ain't no Freedom Arms but I like her style...got to if it produces 3/4 in. groups with factory ammo.

One note...it isn't what it should be for a Performance Center gun and the smith who worked on it (who incidentally has a kind of legendary reputation in the area) indicated that Smith is shipping some less than desirable quality.

Top Gun raves about his 625.

·
Registered
382 Posts

I have a 30 yr. old Model 25-2, with a 5" barrel and a Performance Center action job. I really like it. I also like stainless. I have considered getting a 625, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Perhaps later in the year.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Tom C

What's the difference between the 25 and the 625 other than stainless?

I'll tell you what, I have a performance ctr 629 44 mag and this gun (my 625) is way sweeter. The bbl is shorter so it's sweeter handling, but the action, porting, sights, everything else is just sweeter.

Got it at a steal too. About $300 bucks below what these guns are going for because it was sitting on the rack for over a year (it shipped from the factory, sat at a distributors, then a bought it new a month ago).

Paid $645 and I've seen them go for $975

·
Registered
382 Posts
25-2 vs. 625

The Model 25-2 is the 1955 target revolver for bullseye shooters. Originally had a 6 1/2" bull barrel. S&W later shortened to 6." Blued with pinned barrel, wide target hammer and trigger. It replaced the Model 1950, which had a lighter barrel and didn't find favor with bullseye shooters. I had my barrel cut to 5" and the trigger switched to a narrow, smooth trigger, and had the Performance Center do an action job on it. I then switched the mainspring for a Wolff spring.
The 625 is stainless with a lugged barrel, originally 5". Heavier than my 25-2. It was intended for pin shooters, the extra muzzle weight helping to reduce muzzle flip. It was intended to be a limited edition model, but became popular enough with IDPA, IPSC, pin shooters and general revolver shooters who liked a .45 ACP revolver that it is still in the line-up (after a brief lapse). With IDPA now requiring a 4" barrel for revolver, S&W has made it with a 4" barrel just for this group. I haven't used the 625 but I am thinking of getting one just for fun.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: 25-2 vs. 625

Tom C. said:
With IDPA now requiring a 4" barrel for revolver, S&W has made it with a 4" barrel just for this group.
My new 625 should be coming home from the smith in just a couple more days. It's getting action, timing, forcing-cone and crown check, charging hole camfering, etc.

This one and my SA 'Loaded' 1911A1 in 9mm are going to be my primary IDPA guns. I hope to shoot all 4 IDPA classes eventually.

·
Registered
69 Posts
45 ACP revolvers

I love Smith large bore revolvers. I have a 1950 Target, a 1955 Target, and a 45 ACP mountain gun. Moon Clips are a pain. I bought a tool from Brownells to remove empties. But the clips are a pain to load. I went to 45 auto rim cases, much more fun to shoot. The gun shop where I use to work got in some "CUSTOM SHOP" 625's a while back The overall quality was very dissapointing. The barrel/clyinder gap looked like it was adjusted with a grinder, it had a burr on outside of barrel. The trigger stop was a roll pin, again adjusted with a grinder. The action was not as smooth as my "mimmed" factory 638. Buy a standard 625, or a mountain gun if you can find one, and get a good smith to work on it.

Jim

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: 45 ACP revolvers

Florida Jim said:
Buy a standard 625, or a mountain gun if you can find one, and get a good smith to work on it.
Thanks for the input Jim!

I settled on a 625 Stainless with a 4" fully lugged barrel. I'm picking it up from the smith today.

brianb

·
Registered
143 Posts
How Do You like It?

Let us know how you like it once you get a chance to shoot it. Love mine. Like it even better than my 629. Quite an accurate gun too.

·
Registered
195 Posts
my smith 25-2 1950 target pinned 6 1/2 barrel is so sweet and very accurate.dillon sells the best tool for removing the brass from the moon clips.I bought 500 ar brass from midway when they had it on sale afew months back.my 1911 and the 25-2 both shoot the same handload well talk about lucky.the lee tumble lube bullet shoots the best lubed and unsized.
I have shot the 625 and I can say the trigger is better on the 25-2 but both are great!
pete

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The end of the story here is that I bought a new 4" lugged barrel 625. I had a local smith (Matthew Brandt) do an action job and wow. This is one FINE shooting wheel gun. I love it as much or more than my 1911's. I'm still practising to get myself ready to shoot revolver in IDPA. My reloads are still slower than I feel like dealing with!

My next revolver will be a 610. I love this moon clip thing. Matt Brandt will be doing the action, and it'll 'be on'!

Thanks to everyone for the input!

·
Registered
11 Posts
S&W #25-5 .45 Colt & 1989 #625 .45 a.c.p.

Two of the finest revolvers I have ever owned. The #625 shoots better than two custom Colt 1911's I had and the 25-5 is a better than average shooter for what it is. Years ago the 25-5 was standard issue to the DeKalb county, GA police department and mine may have been one of those, though it is not marked as such. If full moon clips bother #625 shooters then search hard for some .45 Auto Rim cases. They work fine in my gun. With very little metal between the chamber walls and the cylinder notches on the 25-5, heavy handloads are not advised.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't see any mention of removing "choke points" in the barrel as part of the gunsmith work being done. Usually find these at the frame/barrel junction. :shock:

Are these newer Smiths coming without barrel constrictions, I hope? :grin:

They sure mess up accuracy, with a cast boolit anyway. :oops:

·
Registered
147 Posts
On the subject of the 625. I have been looking at the S&W website where they show a 2" model 625 made with Scandium and Stainless steel. This length and weight pistol would probably fill my needs better. I wonder if the velocity from a 2" barrel would be "good enough" to make the gun at least as effective as a 38 special. I have to think it would be, but have no data on this. Does anyone have one of these pistols, any comments?
Jimmyp

1 - 18 of 18 Posts