Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know why Smith discontinued the 632.? I love the 327 Federal round and enjoy my SP101 but would buy a S&W if they were available. Actually an 8 shot L frame would be nice. I never did hear why they were discontinued.

·
2,707 Posts
Off the top of my head, I would guess they simply didn't sell well. As long as general demand for handguns remains high, most manufacturers concentrate on high volume / profit over smaller runs of enthusiast models.

Larry

Reactions: JoeG52

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just to tidy up the confusing world of S&W numbers a little.
The 632 was a small J frame 32 magnum built on the hammerless Centennial frame.
The 632-1 was a J frame 327 Fed. built only as a 3 " ported gun with a hammer.
The 632-2 was 327 but back to the Centennial frame and a2 1/8 inch ported barrel.

So , as you see S&W floundered about a bunch trying to figure out what a 32/327 was. They failed.
In the end, they, like every manufacturer other than Ruger misread the cartridge thinking of it as only a self defense snubby.
What Ruger understood was the true calling for the 32/327 family is as a packing trail gun and best utilized with a 4" or more barrel in a heavier frame .
Forget S&W in this arena , Ruger owns it.
For true happiness find a 4.2" 327 SP-101 or a 6" GP-100 ,,,,,, or maybe a Single seven or two.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a Taurus revolver in .327 magnum and I think it is a great carry gun.
Easy to carry open or concealed.
Plenty of punch with 6 magnum rounds in the cylinder.
Recoil is manageable compared to a .357 revolver of the same size
Lots of light factory loads to practice and plink with.
I would like to find a rifle in .327 magnum.

·
Premium Member
4,603 Posts
IMHO Taurus has an awful lot of ground to make up before I'd buy one again. I know rheir reputation is getting better since moving to the US but, once bitten twice shy.
Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts