Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you find the mod. number on S&W 357 mag. hand gun ?
deaconllb

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: S&W mod. number location

Mine has the number 4924 so is this a mod 24? I do not see a 357 mag listed for the 24 only 44, comes closer to the DA for looks.
Deaconllb

·
Registered
250 Posts

That 4924 is most probably an assembly number not the model number. Smith and Wesson did not use model numbers before 1957. They used names, i.e. ; Combat Masterpiece, or Outdoorsman. They started with the model numbers in 1957, and stamped them in the area mentioned above. A picture or better description in detail will help us identify which model you have. A picture of the revolver would be the easiest for us to help you. Also, the first few digits of the serial number on the bottom of the grip frame would help very much. More information is needed.....

·
Registered
9,618 Posts

Open the cylinder
On the frame under the barrel just above the cylinder hinge.
there should be two separate numbers. One is the Mod number and will say Mod ---
Mod 13 and there may be a dash -2 for the version.
and the serial number that is also on the but of the grip.
As a K frame you should see Mod 13, 19, 66,
J Frame 60 or 640
N Frame 27, 28
L 586 or 686
I have a couple S&W that are Pre mod numbers and you may not see it. Just the serial number.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I posted a right and a left picture, the butt has the SN. S 812XX also located inside the cyl. pivit with the SN also The barrel is pined, has adj. rear sight No Mod. numbers or anything else.

Deaconllb

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
i think that one is too old to have
the # where everyone says, which
is in fact where it would be if it had one.
couldn't tell from the pic but i think it's
one like i have right here, called a "357 magnum"
no model 27 or 28 or nothing.
i'm assuming the cylinder is rim recessed.

N frame ?

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes the rim is recessed also hand eject I am thinking it might be a 27 Da. gun value book with picture has it with the correct barrel length 5 inches and also 357 mag
Deaconllb

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
it looks like what i have. can't tell
from the photo.
mine is just "357 MAGNUM"
it's the precursor to the model 27.
these were back when nobody really knew
that much about loads and things, and
the large frame was to "keep from blowing it up".
a lot of those old articles would say that
law officers could shoot through an engine
block, and the recoil was really stout, and
a lot of officers wouldn't be able to handle
the recoil, etc. of course, those were the
days when they had to use lead round nose
ammo, and couldn't have a speed loader
or "too much ammo", etc.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I heard the same story on the 44 mag when they first came out around where I was, a shooting buddy bought one and we went out to the range and he shot at a 55 gal barrel we heard it hit the drum so he shot a couple times more and we went for a look just some large dents so much for splitting a cast iron engine block no penetration :)

Deaconllb

·
Registered
250 Posts
What you have is what is known as a "Pre-Model 27" in collector lingo. The actual model is called a ".357 Magnum", and is considered the top of the Smith & Wesson line in the days of its manufacture. It has no model number stamped on the frame in the crane area, as there was no such thing as model numbers when it was made. I suggest that you go to the Smith & Wesson forum site, and ask for information in the Revolvers made before 1961 sub-forum, including the pics with your post. You'll get a good idea of the made on or ship date of your revolver. Just looking at the pictures, I'd say it was made in the late 1940s to mid 1950s from the style of the hammer and grips

If your revolver is still in good shape with a tight lock-up and good bore, you have probably one of the finest Smith & Wesson revolvers ever made. You did well and should be pleased.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bore is nice and shinney, locks up tight and over all would say it falls in the good condition as it has the bluing worn thin on both sides of barrel forward end from being carried a lot may have belong to a police officer at one time do not care about selling it was just wanted to know mod. number
Thanks to all who replied

Deaconllb

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got an e-mail from the NRA today letting me know they are having a gun auction and take a look so I did and what do you know there is a pre Mod. 27 357 Mag S and W well used not as nice as mine and that thing is already almost up to 800.00 and still going it does have a well used original box though. I may have to think about selling mine :) if they bring that kind of money.

Deaconllb

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did go on the S&W Forum, lots of info. on the forum and found that my gun was made in 1952, N frame 357 mag pre mod number as mentioned, Thanks for all the help.

Deaconllb

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
as mine was my father's it has sentimental
value to me and i doubt if it will ever be sold.
on that other hand, you'd be hard pressed
to find a better built smith and wesson for
a decent price. this one has fit and finish
that my later ones can't match.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts