Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D I just traded a S&W 44 mag mountain gun for a [email protected] model 60 (old version but like new) plus $175. I feel pretty good about the trade and now have something to carry when my 1911 is just a bit too big. Whaddya think? Anyone else have any S&W model 60 experiences to share?

·
Registered
28 Posts
HEY MAT,
I THINK THAT YOU MADE A GOOD CHOISE, IT'S PRETTY HARD TO CONCEAL A LARGE FRAME PISTOL IN THE SUMMER TIME SO I TOO GOT A SMALL FRAME REVOLVER TO CARRY IN THE SUMMER, MINE BEING A 2" .357 COLT MAGNUM CARRY. IT,S REAL SNOTTY WITH MAGNUM LOADS BUT WITH .38+P'S IT'S A KEEPER.

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
Model 60

Matt: That's a good buy. Those are solid little pieces and +P rated. The trigger can be worked on if it is too stiff and she can be slicked right up. In addition, if you do not intend to use the single action mode but prefer a DAO for that gun, hammers are avaiable from S&W for that conversion. Or, if you want it for pocket carry, you can 'bob' that hammer and still retain the single action/double action capability and have a bit of a nub to cock it with.

Good for ya. Mikey.

·
Registered
156 Posts
M60 S&W

My wife has a M640 chambered in .357.We load it with +P .38 ammo. I like to carry it when walking the dog in the summer.I load two rounds of shot shells for snakes and three rounds of hollow points for unfriendly critters. (two and four legged) I polished the action and installed a spring kit.It shoots like a dream for a DAO.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Matt,
I have one of those and it is one of my favorite pocket guns. Here's what I had done to it:

1; action job to slick up the trigger pull
2; removed the hammer spur and cut four small groves crossways in the top of the hammer. I normally shoot the gun double action but wanted to keep the option of using it single action.
3; had the trigger narrowed a bit, removed the "target grooves", rounded off the bottom corners.
4; had the cylinder latch cut to allow use of a speed loader.
5; chamfered the chamber mouths
6; Had the whole gun bead blasted.
7; put on a pair of Craig Speigal Boot Grips (african blackwood)

I use the model 60 as a back-up and usually carry it in a pocket or an ankle holster loaded with Federal 125 gr. Nyclad (P38M).

·
Registered
300 Posts
An out fit named Waller's makes a hammer shroud which makes the hammer totally snag proof but still allows single action use if you desire. they're on line.

I have been told that because of the geometry of the design of the S&W J frame action jobs and smooth manageable trigger pulls were not possible. Have I been misinformed?

·
Registered
10 Posts
22 Years....

I've owned and carried an early Model 60 for 22 years -- and thankfully have never needed to use it anger.

It is interesting to read of those modifying these guns -- which I think is perfect as it leaves the factory. NO modifications have been made to my silver beauty.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Have one in 3"

Matt,

I have a couple of the stock model 60's and a third one that is also stock, but came with a 3" barrel and target style hammer and adjustable sights. The only modification I did to that one was to have a tritium front blade installed. Looks just like a little shrunk down 629. My gunsmith said he was able to do a little bit of improvement in smoothing it out, but not as much as he is able to get on the larger frame models.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Ultimate Trail Gun

I have the 357 three inch with adjustable sights, and it's the ultimate all around handgun. It's very accurate and a joy to shoot and carry on the trail. My favorite fer sure.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Matt,
I've had my Model 60 since 1983. I took the hammer spur off, and smoothed the action up a bit. It's logged many hours in a Bianchi ankle holster as a back up. I got the shakes when you said you traded in a Mountain Gun though. :cry: Too bad you couldn't keep both!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the Model 60-1. It was made in about 1980. It has the pinned barrel.
I have been told that since it is a later model that it's fine to shoot the +P's out of it.
Many have said that the earlier models might have a problem with the extra pressure.
Have any of you had a problem with the higher pressure loads?
I got it NIB from a dealer/friend. He said he got it in a multiple trade at a recent show.
He let me have it for $200.00 and I understand I got a really good deal.
Does anyone know what they are priced at. Serial number is R249XXX. Got it with the original SW wooden grips and Uncle Mike's also.
Really like this little gun. My wife has already claimed it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
S&W Model 60 Trade

Hi Matt,
I would guess I am somewhat older than you and for many years I traded guns often. Many times I purchesed a second and third time the same model gun I had traded off at one time or an other. (The colt gold cup and the S&W 2 1/2 66 are two of them) I relized I liked the gun I traded or I would not have bought it in the first place. I only had a few guns and I had spent many thousands of dollars over the years trading. About three of four years ago I stoped trading. I took the 150 or 200 dollars I would have spent trading and kept it untill I had 200 or 300 hundred more and bought the gun I wanted. I don't have as many as a lot of people I know, but I now have 14 hand guns and 11 long guns and hope to have more before the game is over. I have a model 60 and I have 357 S&W 386 mountain lite, I like both. Although my wife clams the S&W 60 as hers. I carry a S&W 649 wherever I go. Don't get anxious and buy junk. waite and get what you really would like to have then keep it. I have Kimbers, Sigs, Rugers, Glocks, S&W, T/Cs, Brownings, Remingtons, Winchesters, etc. I enjoy them all, and I enjoy having them as much as I do shooting them.
I hope I don't sound like I am preching, I'm not. I only wish I has not waited untill I was over 60 before I got smart. Good luck.
GP
And remember. You can never have to many guns!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been looking at a 60 for concealed carry. I like the 3" barrel with adj sights. I have also looked at the 386 but have not been able to actually handle one . How does it compare to the 60 as far as concealability and shootability. Alot of people say the scandium guns are hard to shoot because of the severe recoil.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Re: 22 Years....

jerry6stl said:
I've owned and carried an early Model 60 for 22 years -- and thankfully have never needed to use it anger.

It is interesting to read of those modifying these guns -- which I think is perfect as it leaves the factory. NO modifications have been made to my silver beauty.

Ditto: Only I have had mine since "75"............................OTTO

·
Registered
755 Posts
I have to agree with Daniel61, I had the three-inch 357 version with adjustable sights, and for my money, there is no better hideout or pocket gun, although you have to be a bit careful about whacking the sights. With 38's it was a pussycat, and with 357's it was "energetic" but not too uncomfortable. Darn good looking little booger, too! :grin:
I used it on a night-fire session at our range once, and the flame from that little dude was awe-inspiring. Not as fierce as my 41 mag 3-inch, but still pretty cool! :eek:
PJ

1 - 15 of 15 Posts