Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been considering purchasing the PC 460 Hunter with the 12" fluted barrel. I like the looks of this gun and the fact that it does NOT have a compensator - my experience/opinion concerning compensators is that the extra noise outweighs any reduced recoil benefits. Does anyone here have any experience with this revolver? - your opinions are appreciated. I would be trading in my 8 3/8" RB 454. The Raging Bull has been a great gun. I just have the urge to go with something newer and bigger. If I get a 460, I'll probably shoot a lot of 454s through it at first as I have many rounds loaded up and would want to get my use out of those expensive cases, I would then gradually move to the 460 loads.
S&W has a holiday special going on through January 31st where if you buy a new 460 or 500, you can get a 9mm or 40 S&W Sigma pistol for $99.00. I have been thinking of picking up a cheap 9mm to plink with, so this deal got me thinking again about the 460. Is the Sigma a decent gun? All I really hear about recently are the M&Ps.
Thanks in advance for your opinions/insights!

·
Premium Member
10,747 Posts
You can get an end cap from S&W the will fit there standard 8 3/8 inch barrel. Then you won't have a compensated barrel. I had on custom made for my 4 inch 500 Mag, I can't stand the compensator's either. But if you like the longer barrel of the PC model 460 Mag, I heard they are some great shooters, but then again I have not heard many complaints about the S&W 460 or 500 Mags.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I don't mind the compensater on my 500. It helps stop the muzzel from jumping up each time it is fired. If the gun isn't jumping I wouldn't want one either.

·
Premium Member
10,747 Posts
jro45 said:
I don't mind the compensater on my 500. It helps stop the muzzel from jumping up each time it is fired. If the gun isn't jumping I wouldn't want one either.

John, I shot mine both ways and I do not notice any difference except the muzzle flash is a lot less and it does not sound as loud, because the ports are not redirecting the muzzle blast all over. .

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm glad to see I'm not alone in disliking compensators/ports. The ports are part of the reason for trading the Raging Bull if I go for 460. What do you guys use for optics on your 460s? I have a $250 Nikon red dot unit on my RB. I don't see many of these for sale any more. I think I know why - my first one fell apart inside the first month I had it. My dealer replaced it for free. This second unit has lasted 3 years, but is starting to go - the "dot" is becoming egg shaped. I'm thinking of replacing it with Leupold FX2 4X28 handgun scope - this scope would then go on the 460. Do any of you have experience with this scope? I have never owned a Leupold, but if anything should hold together on the big guns, it seems like this should.
Also, anyone out there familiar with the Sigma pistols?

·
Premium Member
10,747 Posts
I have a Bushnell 2x6X32 on my PC 460 Mag with over 3000 rounds fired, I also use Ultra-dot Match-dot scopes on my 500 Mag and BFR 45-70. The hold up great too them big bore guns.

As far as the Leupold 2X and 4X, I don't like them all that much due to the black out, and I am a big Leupold fan. But that is when your eye and scope are not perfectly lined up and all you see is black, I don't have that as much with the Bushnell. Now the Leupold 2.5X8 scope is a great handgun scope.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I took the 460 plunge last night. Our local Scheel's store had the best deal around. I traded in my RB 454 I purchased in 2004 for $659. Scheel's gave me $475 for it. I was hoping (as always) for a little more, but it could have been worse. Scheel's had three of the 12" PC Hunters in stock and on sale for $1199. I asked if they had their barrels inspected for the PC 460 recall, and it turned out that only one had, so that is the one I got. They are sending the other two back to S&W for inspection and the stamp on the yoke.
I also ordered a Sigma 9mm pistol for $99. It should be fun to plink with, and I could not pass up a new S&W for less than $100. If nothing else, I should be able to sell it for a little profit.
I scrubbed out the 460's barrel and chambers and put a little oil on the moving parts and took it out in the back yard this morning and fired fifty 454 rounds. They were down-loaded with 240 gr. XTP MAGs with enough Tightgroup powder to make them about like a stout 45 Colt load. This is one SWEET gun!! The grip fits my hand perfectly and feels softer than the RB. I thought this gun might be a bit muzzle heavy, but I could easily hold it two-handed without a rest and hit what I was aiming at. From a makeshift rest, the accuracy amazed me. This was with open sights! It shot a little high but I can adjust the sights when I take it out this afternoon with some full strength 454s. The reduction in noise made my day - the longer, unported barrel is great in this regard.
Trigger pull was smooth and very light in SA and DA. My RB was trigger was heavier but would misfire with CCI primers - it worked well with WSR primers. The 460 also worked well with the WSR primers I used this morning, but I'm hoping that it will work with any primer I use.
While at the dealer, I looked at handgun scopes and noticed the "blackout" Redhawk was writing about. I'm now leaning towards the Nikon Monarch 2.5-8X28 scope for $289. Does anyone have any experience with this scope?
Sorry about the long post - I hope some find it interesting/informative.

Regards, Chappy

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a few additional notes on the PC 460:
Yesterday, I fired fifty full strength 454 loads - 240 gr. XTPs and a near max load of H110. Great accuracy with open sights, lots of fun. The noise and recoil were very manageable, hardly any muzzle flip. I really like the grip on this revolver. The soft rubber cushions well but is a little "sticky". I found a light glove lets the grip "roll" in my hand better and increased comfort. After about 20 rounds, it started to shoot a few inches to the right. I checked the sights and my front sight was a little loose and had rotated to the left. I rotated it back and retightened it and checked all screws but found no other loose ones.
After shooting, I scrubbed the cylinder holes well to remove the carbon ring where the 454 cases ended. I have 100 Starline 460 cases ordered from Midway and am anxious to get them and try some 460 loads.
Last night, the wife and I were out Christmas shopping. She got a diamond necklace (her jewelery collection usually improves at about the same rate as my gun collection - we are poor but happy!). Anyway, I ran across a Bushnell 2-6X32 3200 Elite Firefly scope on closeout for $220, which was quite a bit less than the other scopes I was considering, so the wife bought it for me. I can't have this though until after Christmas. The Firefly reticle is kind of neat and different from anything I've had before. They are heavy black in the light, and glow as it gets dark outside. I don't know yet if I am going to grow to love or hate it, but the price was right.

Chappy

·
Premium Member
10,747 Posts
Chappy, blue loktite on them threads will work great. Also don't count the Bushnell out, I have a 2X6 Bushnell Trophy on my 460 Mag and love it. The only other scope I would consider is the Leupold 2.5X8 or even the Nikon.

Glad you are enjoying that 460 Mag.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Winter has arrived here in southern Minnesota big time! Ice, snow, and cold temps have put a damper on the shooting, but I have managed to shoot another 100 full strength 454s and a bunch of "mild" 460 rounds. With open sights, this revolver is Very accurate. When I mount the scope, I am going to use Warne quick detach rings so that I can have the option of quickly going to open sights if I desire.
My 9mm Sigma pistol arrived yesterday. It looks kind of blocky/glocky, but it fits my hand well. The trigger was a little stiff, but not too bad - my Taurus pistols were far worse. Another storm blew in last night, so for a function/accuracy test, I shot 30 rounds out the front door at some frozen turds our two labs left out on the snow about 20-30 feet away. Function was flawless and I hit the turds most of the time. The pistol seems to be a keeper.

You may be a ******* - If you shoot at frozen dog turds out of your front door (wearing slippers)!
{I had to do this while the wife was away, or she would have used the gun on me.}

Regards, Chappy

·
Registered
175 Posts
Sorry I'm jumping on this a little late.... like, after you already bought it. ;)

The Sigma got a bad rep early on in it's career, but the current production is getting very good reviews. I bought a Sigma .40 S&W (SW40GVE) back in September, and I'm very happy with it.

For a more complete review, go here: Sigma 9VE Review on the S&W Forums

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again everyone for all your replies. Both guns are working well for me. The 460 has me looking forward to next year's deer season. Surprisingly, the Sigma seems to have about the same accuracy as my Kimber TLE 45. I was not expecting that from a DAO gun.
To try something new, I recently, I purchased some 125 gr. hardcast roundnose bullets for the 9 MM, and some 200 gr. hardcast flatnose bullets that should work in my 454 and 45 ACP rounds. I have not shot the 45 cal. bullets yet, but the 9 MM work very well. They are not quite as accurate as my favorite 124 gr. XTP/HP loads, but they are much cheaper than the Hornadys and if I can hit a dog turd at 25 feet I'm happy. This is my first experience with hardcast bullets, but I'm already thinking I should have bought 1000 instead of just 500. Note that the lube on these cast bullets does smoke/smell a little - so if you are shooting them out your front door, make sure the wind does not blow the smoke back into your house - if you have a wife that cares - mine does.

Well, the lakes are frozen pretty good now, so it's probably time give the guns a little rest and take my son icefishing.
Have a great Christmas and winter everyone!

Regards, Chappy

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
I've had a Sigma for years. at least 10. I have only had one problem with it and the front sight fell out. S&W replaced it quickly and I asked what the cost would be for a tritium front sight and they installed it for free.
I don't like the Glocks because of the grip angle and I have this test I do to see if a handgun fits.
I put the handgun in the low ready and pick a target on a wall or something Light switch, stuffed animal head, what ever. I then close my eyes. Yes close my eyes. Raise the gun to the target and open my eyes. I should be looking right down the slide and hopefully the sights are real close to being on the target. My Sigma does this, the Glocks do not. I see the whole top of the slide and the gun is aimed way above the object.
It's a good reliable handgun that gets used often.
The only down side is when they came out with the Value series prices fell. I'm wondering if Sigma prices will fall again.
Hey if nothing else buy it, shoot it and if you like it sell it, if not trade it in on something else you want or sell it for what you paid for it plus.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts