Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have any experiences using cast bullets with 50 cal sabots?

Cheese

·
Registered
636 Posts
I've shot 405 grain bullets cast from wheel weights in a Lee aluminum mold with MMP orange sabots and 90 grains Pyrodex RS. Got an average 4-shot velocity of 1487 fps and a 4-inch 100 yard group. Didn't get to play around with different loads because the range session was called on account of rain. Plan to give them a good workout after hunting season. They look to have promise.

They are .458 diameter intended for the 45-70.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
I cast 240 gr and 310 bullets out of pure lead they are 429 to 430 diameter I shoot them in a green harvester sabot. I also cast the .458 400 gr
I shoot them in the black sabot for 452 the work fine so far. The 310 gr have a good punch to them and group well. I like the 240 gr for light loads and plinking.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Hey alsaqr. The BC is somewhere around .280. The wheel weight one shoot great out of my 45-70 with moderate loads. I need to cast some in pure lead to try in the muzzleloaders. They would be cheap paper punchers and I would have no worries about whether they will kill whitetails.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got some 45 cal minie balls that I put into a sabot and shot out of my 50 cal. Its a long bullet with a hollow base, so it ought to be very stable. As I remember they grouped real good, but I ran out of them. So I started shooting a 300gr. 45 cal cast bullet. But now that deer season is over, I'm going to play with the minie balls again, I cast a bunch about a month ago.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've used Cheap Shots for a few years with great results, but have recently switched to .430 cal Hornady XTP's ( 240's) and they are Death his bad self!I did try casting bullets for sabot use , pure lead, and got some strange results.I tried .44 and .45 cal bullets from 2-300 grains with T7 charges from 40-70 grains and EVERY bullet grew fins corresponding to the slots in the sabot petals.Accuracy was poor. 4 inch groups in a rifle that shoots Cheap Shots in to 2 inches and the XTP's under 1 1/2". Anyone else have this happen? I'm guessing the C.S.'s are an alloy as They dont suffer from the fins. To give you an idea I measured the fins on a recovered 200 gr Lee .430 flat point driven by 40 grains of 3f T7 and got .478 across the fins.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
That's what I used to hunt with. Work great.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Cheesehead said:
Any one have any experiences using cast bullets with 50 cal sabots?

Cheese
When using over 80 grains 777 at 100 yards, they would tumble on me - experiencing sideways bullets on target paper. Tried Harvester and MMP sabots. You may experience better results using a weaker powder. I still have something like 485 out of 500 bulk bullets I purchased back then. Will save for a rainy day experiment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts