Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Norton has been purchased by a company in India. Inevitable, I guess, due to the fact they were so far in debt they'd never recover. But sad for everyone who remembers what the brand once was.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/british-motorcycle-brand-norton-purchased-012438864.html

Had a 1972 Norton Commando, really a fun bike to ride and at that time outclassed the other two big British brands of Triumph and BSA. That Isolastic motor suspension wasn't just advertising hype, it really worked. Absolutely none of that tingly vibration that was part and parcel of most bikes of that era. But at idle the motor would shake so bad you'd swear it was going to fall out of the frame!

·
Registered
663 Posts
When I visited the UK in the early 1990's, motorcycle police were riding Nortons. Must have been a great job!

I never owned a British bike but the most exotic motorcycle I owned was a Moto Guzzi. A 1976 LeMans 850 that I sold for almost same price I paid for it after riding for 7 years. They're truly great machines for the twisty roads of northern California where I was working at the time.

These days I ride a 1999 Yamaha Royal Star featuring their unique V-4 engine configuration. It's a cruiser.

TR

·
Registered
63 Posts
India is quickly becoming a motorcycle manuf mecca. KTM, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and others are utilizing India's vast amount of people as well as some of the engineering stars emerging. There are some very brilliant engineers coming out of India. We see images of the slums and poverty but overlook the fact that they are a highly industrialized nation. All made possible by American foreign investment due to cheaper labor. Thanks to NAFTA, we're losing the advantage we once had. I own a 2017 KTM 500 made in India and it is the crux of development for off-road dual sport bikes. Nothing comes close to it's performance. KTM saw the advantage over Austrian manuf offered by India.

·
Registered
418 Posts
This is so sad, wish I was born 20 years or more before I was, I don't want to see any more decay of the greats, I know it is what it is... blah blah

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
At least it didn't go to china!!!

DM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts