Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents and Madams,

With most of us being rather frugal and always looking for some semblence of quality in relationship to price the SAECO/Redding line of moulds come to mind.

Specifically the SAECO #745, tapered style bullet, .458/.460, weighing 525 =/- grains.

Mike Venturino in his latest book "SHOOTING BUFFALO RIFLE of the OLD WEST" imparts his opinion of this bullet on page 198. 'It's small shallow grease grooves do not carry an over abundance of bullet lube, and so rifles tend to foul up badly on very hot days."

Any personal experiences with this SAECO 745 mould? Comments on the "tapered" style of the bullet?

Considering temperature, humidity and different barrel lengths of 28", 30", 32" and 34", at what point does/will the lubricant (SPG or equiv) stop working and barrel leading take over?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Hi ALL.

I got rid of my 745 mould,I found that it just did'nt do the job on hot dayes or even in the winter,and I use a blow tube.when you push a dry patch through it hanges up in the last 2".It's worse with Swiss powder.
when I ordered the Brooks moulds I orderedit with .100 wide.080 deep grooves,the problems ended except on the hotset and dryest days but a few more blowes takes care of that,I have a bullet in the .45 that looks almost like the 745 but it comes to a point.it is an exellent bore rider.It is illustrated in the Shiloh catalog.My .40 is like the tostell (.457-132).Lp

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have to make a correction for my last post
I just rechecked my bullets,they mesure.090wide.063 deep.the .458 dropes out at 560 [email protected]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Windcuttter,
the 745 is a 5 GG bullet. I have the mould and have shot about 50 rounds so far. To date I haven't had a problem yet. However, all the shot have been this winter. I'll cast you some if you want. I frequently get to Deming. Let me know your address and I'll bring a few next trip. mygila AKA My Mangum

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.