Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinons from those who own or know both these rifles, a sako hunter 75 in .270 (new) and a tikka t-3 hunter in .270 I have both these guns as well as 2 t-3 ss/syn. My comment is, does anybody like there tikka more than the sako? I saved for quite a while to get the sako thinking I wanted to own the best but now that i've shot both a fair amount I seem to like the tikka better. Between it being a pound lighter and actually a smoother action I am wondering which to keep/ use. I am aware of the differences in materials, just curious if anyone else feels the same way. I feel like I should like the sako more but am doubting myself. I can't see anywhere the tikka is lacking in quality. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Bolt Action Rifles

Handwerk

It Looks like you are torn betwixt and between Rifles. I hate when this happens to me. I am rather hooked on the Sako, Never had a bad one.
Looks to like you are going to have to shoot both until it comes to ya.
Best of luck to you Sir...........Joe............

·
Registered
119 Posts
Handwerk,

Although the Tikka shoots well and is of excellent quality - it's still not in the same class as a Sako. The Sako is targeted at a different customer base.

My Sako shoulders like nothing else, better IMO than my Tikka. I think the stock is designed better. The Sako is built like a rifle should be - 1 piece bolt, no dovetailed bolt, no plastic parts, 3 cams on the bolt. Yes, it is a bit heavier, but if a guy can't tolerate a pound of difference when hunting, maybe what he needs is not a lighter rifle, but to work out a bit more and get in shape.

What still bugs me on the Tikka is the plastic bolt shroud. I can deal with the magazine and even the triggerguard assembly. But the shroud has an odd shape that that tries to imitate metal. That in itself looks cheap and is cheap.

If you want a accurate high quality firearm that you don't mind abusing a bit, then the Tikka would be a good option. But if you enjoy the feel and look of old-world craftsmanship, then the Sako is the kind of rifle you would be proud to pass on to your son one day.

Regards

·
Registered
108 Posts
Totally agree with Sigma. Sako and Tikka are now under Beretta by the way and the barrels come from the same shop. Both are good shooters then.

I own a Sako Finnbear for 15years now and if I buy a new one it will be a Sako Finnlight.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I own a Tikka T3, it is a fine rifle - But I'd probably take a Sako 75 over it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sako and tikka

thanks for your thoughts guys. I held the sako several times today and shot it yesterday. It is a beautiful rifle. I doubt I'll be selling either one. Hey hunting guy hows the heat down there? I'm up Grand Marias. it's warm, but a whole lot cooler than the twin cities. I sure am glad I bought my tikkas last year, I knew the prices would be going up. For under a grand I think they still are the best deal out there. With the smooth action, short bolt throw and great trigger I don't know if any of my future rifles will be anything other than sako's or tikkas.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Beretta and what a problem to have!!!

How many companies have issues with the high quality of their lines that people wonder which one to buy? I think it is fit and feel and the caliber you are shooting. Buckfever

·
Registered
753 Posts
Big difference in rifles and the cost reflects that. To me the tikka is a throw away rifle the Sako you could build something real nice on that action. I've got an old Browning/Sako that I got new in 1965 and it's still going strong just wear out barrels. Don't get me wrong I got my t-3 out the door for $485. but it's not a $1000. rifle. I had the stock shorten on the t-3 and gave it to my varmit shooting partner. Just my .02

·
Registered
5 Posts
Love my Sako Hunter in 7mm Rem Mag. Combined with a Khales scope, ferral hogs never stand a chance! The action seemed a bit long when I first purchased the gun and practiced at the range. In the field though, the long action has never stopped me from emptying the mag in quick order. Cannot say enough good things about the Sako.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've never owned a Tikka, but my Sako is the joy of my gun cabinet. Not only is it an attractive rifle, it's accurate and very well made. Are you listening Remington, Winchester, Ruger, Browing? You damn well should listen. The crap you're producing today doesn't come close to these two products. Sometimes it seems only Savage really gives a damn any more. Sorry for the short rant. Our gun manufacturers are a sore point with me. We need more machinists and gunsmiths in these companies and fewer bean counters and lawyers. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

·
Registered
118 Posts
No contest.............

If you can afford the extra price or get a good deal on a used rifle go with a sako.....Win, rem, ruger ugh & my new American favorite SAVAGE..can all take a few lessons from the guys making sako rifles...The bores are bright & smooth (less fouling) they handle very nicely..the trigger is decent from the factory..I own & have owned all those brands & a few others..The older 270 sako is a thing of beauty & a joy to shoot...Not many high powered cartridges can keep up with it in the accuracy dept.. Not all are as refined as the older ones..but even a newer hunter grade 75 in SS with a laminated stock looks & feels right...I miss my old winchester in 308...I dont miss my old ruger 77's on one the trigger was just horrible but it was a good varmint rifle..the other a 257 roberts sporter..nice gun but the rate of twist & the amount of freebore made loading accurate ammo a real problem...I had a real Remington nightmare a year ago with a 22-250 sporter...Nowadays you pay your money & takes your chances with all the major gun companies...I think looking for the right used rifle is the best deal most of the time...I know you can't always do that but..keep looking..If you get a used dud the shop ower most likely will give you a fair trade in or a refund..With new guns that can be problimatic...you ordered it, you own it...I could not agree more with cal & his comments..look for quality...rebuild or customize a solid used gun..you won't regret it...You get exactly what you want that way..good luck sorry for the rant I'm just still steaming over that Rem Sporter....mike in ct

1 - 11 of 11 Posts