Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching relentlessly on the internet trying to find a smidge of info on this rifle I just sent my money off on. I was wondering if there was any Sako collectors or someone who has a book that would list the info I am searching for.

Date it was manufactured:
How many of this design was made/how many in this caliber:
Date rifle was discontinued:

Sako AV LH (left handed) Full mannlicher stock in 30-06
Serial #6311XX
Oil finish walnut stock
Rear sight and front hooded blade

Thanks For your help
Single hunter

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Single hunter: At present all I can tell you is that the 30-06 mannlicher was disc. 1991 per; the blue book. :D JIM

·
Registered
300 Posts
Reading from "Rifles of the World", The first L-61 actioned Mannlicher stocks were made in 1970.
I understand the AV ie. the fifth action appeared in 1978 with some refinements. L-61L is the left hand version of that action. 30-06 was one of the earliest chamberings. The full length stocked carbine was available in right handed fairly early on. Can't find any reference to left hand version of the carbine.

·
3,205 Posts
Wont Sako tell you about it . . . for a fee? I am not sure, but I thought if you had the serial # they would give some info on a particular rifle. This may not be what you are looking for tho.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've sent the info to Sako, but have not received a reply as of yet. It would be pretty nice if they would give me a little history on it.

Thanks for the replies so far..

Single hunter

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rifle got here yesterday. All I can say is WOW. There is not just one single thing that brings out the WOW factor, it's the entire rifle. The fit it fantastic, the wood is nicely grained and the oil finish is more than I expected. The trigger is crisp and not a hint of creep. WOW....

Now to let the wife recover from the two rifle purchase in just over a month before I start the search for those special rings and a scope. I'm probably going to go for another fixed power/no objective bell euro scope. I've been eye balling some of the illuminated jobbies... HMmmmmm

Anybody know if someone makes those rings that clamp on the top rather than the sides for the Sako?

Single hunter

·
Registered
300 Posts
The bases on my first Sako were Sako and I never had any problems. On my second rifle I was advised to go with the Leupold Sako dovetail ones. Apparently the Sako Bases (rear) have been known to buckle when really tightened down. Don't know much about it but assume there must be some foundation behind the claim.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
here is the info that Sako supplied.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Your rifle is a Sako L61R Finnbear. The specific rifle you own was "born" on the 28th November 1986. I'm sorry to inform you that we are not allowed to give our customer info, so I cannot tell you where it was shipped to. Also, we do not have record of how many exactly were made of these rifles as their serial numbers of the L61R were mixed with the serial numbers of the other models that were in production at the same time.

Here is some info about the model in general:

The Sako L61R Finnbear was in production from 1962 till 1991. A left-handed version was included in the product range in 1986.
The Finnbear models were: Hunter, Deluxe, Laminated, Fiberclass, Safari, Carbine, Handy and Handy Fiber.

The Finnbear was available in the following calibers:.22-250 Rem, .243 Win, 7mm-08 Rem, .308 Win, .25-06 Rem, 6,5x55 SE, 270 Win, 7x64, .30-06, 9,3x62, 7mm Rem Mag, .300 Win Mag, .300 Weath. Mag, .338 Win Mag, .375 H&H Mag.

The length of the barrel varied from 580 mm to 620 mm and that of complete rifle from 1100 mm to 1150 mm. The weight of the rifle was from 3,3 - 3,65 kg.

The Finnbear featured a 5rds magazine ( 3rds in the Magnum calibers) and open sights as standard.

At the same time that the Sako L61 Finnbear was in production, there were the L 579 Forester (medium size calibers) and L461 Vixen (small size calibers).

·
3,205 Posts
That is pretty interesting stuff. I would really like to know what country it was 1st shipped to though . . . I can picture some Euro chap sneaking thru the dark timber on some snowy mountain range . . . or maybe on top of a big mountain covered with grass and flowers with someone singing :eek: opps I guess that is "The Sound of Music". :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts