Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the little 360 DW cartridge. My wife has irrevocably claimed my 20" MGM barrel and the G2 frame it is on. In fact, I am not allowed to shoot "her" ammo.馃ぃ I have another G2 frame I was thinking of getting set up with a barrel between 16.25 and 18 inches and threaded for the same cartridge.

Any thoughts on this vs going to a 300 Blk or 357 Max? Either would be primarily used for hunting deer within 150 yards and maybe a varmint of opportunity. I would really like a 44Mag lever action, but my suppressor only has a .358 hole through it. I already have brass, dies, bullets and powders for the 300 Blk and all shorter variants of the 357 Max. It is also why those two are the alternatives to the matching 360 DW chamberings.

Registered
With your stated application, the 360 is probably as good as or better than the Max. However, getting a barrel for the max could be easily justified based on the saying "variety is the spice of life".

The 300 BO is probably OK out to 150, but only with "made for BO" hunting bullets. In a break open gun, it could probably be set up for a longer than standard OAL, but you would need to talk this over with the maker to figure out what they can do. Twist would also need to be thought through. With this round, you really want to decide up front if you want it to handle real heavies for subsonic shooting.

I would think either the 360 or the Max would offer you more choices for bullets effective at 150 yards as long as you stick to supersonic for hunting. If you are planning on subsonic hunting, there is probably less in the way of info and specialty bullets.

For length, 16.25 should work fine.

If your priority is subsonic, the BO probably has some advantages. If 150 yard effectiveness has a priority, supersonic ammo in either 360 or Max are probably better choices.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
150 is the furthest opportunity I would have, but I am not afraid to cut down that distance if needed. 50-75 yards is the more likely shot distance 98% of the time. I do not plan on shooting subs for hunting, but do like the lower blast when using a suppressor. Actually, I would probably load some 190gr WFN in my barrel as fast as I could and not get leading (1800+ fps if I am lucky) if I went with a Max or 360DW. I might actually need two barrels now that I am thinking about it.馃槑

Registered
With a Contender 55,000 psi should be OK based on the 223 rating.

Using a 16.25" barrel, the 190 gr bullet and the above pressure, Quickload says 296/H110 can get

Max case, 0.335 seating depth, velocity around 2000 fps

360 case, 0.335 seating depth, velocity around 1970 fps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts