Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody here have one? Or has shot or handled one? They sure look handy to me, although I am not a big fan of synthetic stocks. I have read a couple of articles about them, and they look like they would be great for a pig/whitetail/black bear rifle, especially in .308. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Scout

I have one.
It handles nicely, has very fast target acquisition, and is very accurate (5/8" 100 yd 3 shot groups, benched of course).

It needs a new trigger installed. Additionally I put QR rings and a Burris 2.75X scope on it, and a decelarator pad (softie here).

The major weakness is the scope: at sunrise and sunset it washes out too soon for me to be useful in first or last light. It is light and portable.

It is a nice carbine, but I will trade mine for a decent 338 WM in the future.

·
Registered
6 Posts
HELP!!!!!!

Last week I bought the Savage Scout and some Portuguese surplus 7.62x52 ammo.

I like the rifle but am having very serious problems with the bolt stucking after firing.

Does anyone have this problem? Would putting some RIG in the chamber solve this problem?

I trully appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance, Jeff

·
Registered
156 Posts
If your ammo is truely 7.62x52 you have already solved the problem. A .308 Win. is 7.62x51 . :shock: Shoot some commercial .308 ammo in it and see if you have the same problem. If not, dump the surplus ammo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: Help!!

Sorry, I meant 7.62x51.

I have placed some PMC .308 on a Bass Pro Shops order that I was making anyway. Will post findings.

That is a shame because I bought the .308 with plinking with the 7.62 NATO in mind.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Surplus

I have tried various surplus 7.62 X 51 in my Remington VS SF and Svg Scout. Some lots/brands work OK, some bind like you stated. I have read in several web pages that 7.62 X 51 may have some slight dimensional differences with standard 308. This possibly being the case, why not stick with standard commercial ammo? My best luck accuracy wise was with Speer 165 Unicor spitser, over 42.5 gr. of IMR 4064, seated to maximum COL. This recipe is an imitation of 308 non premium ammo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you fellows for your kind replies.

I am a flintlock shooter that was looking for an inexpensive 100M plus rifle. The scout concept is still somewhat "traditional" and simple without alot of "stuff" I do not need.

I do not handload but hope to after scoping the scout. I will scope the scout next year and get a RCBS reloading kit the next. I have a tight shooting budget.

Please folks, I have the following questions:
The Savage Scout is standard with Williams Ghost Aperature. I have the Williams catalog and desire to put a smaller (I think not too small) rear peep on it. I do not have it now, but it is the white outlined one. I think the ghost must be replaced with a threaded part that will allow the other peep to be screwed in. Am I correct in my line of thought? I am not clear on part numbers. Any ideas?

I see remanufactured ammo from Cabelas, is remanfactured ammo good for this application?

Thank you for helping strech my shooting dollar.

At this point, while I am waiting for my PMC ammo to come, I miss the relibility of my flinter. :grin:

May warmest regards, Jeff

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
jkerns said:
Thank you fellows for your kind replies.

I am a flintlock shooter that was looking for an inexpensive 100M plus rifle. The scout concept is still somewhat "traditional" and simple without alot of "stuff" I do not need.

I do not handload but hope to after scoping the scout. I will scope the scout next year and get a RCBS reloading kit the next. I have a tight shooting budget.

Please folks, I have the following questions:
The Savage Scout is standard with Williams Ghost Aperature. I have the Williams catalog and desire to put a smaller (I think not too small) rear peep on it. I do not have it now, but it is the white outlined one. I think the ghost must be replaced with a threaded part that will allow the other peep to be screwed in. Am I correct in my line of thought? I am not clear on part numbers. Any ideas?

I see remanufactured ammo from Cabelas, is remanfactured ammo good for this application?

Thank you for helping strech my shooting dollar.

At this point, while I am waiting for my PMC ammo to come, I miss the relibility of my flinter. :grin:

May warmest regards, Jeff
http://www.williamsgunsight.com/image_88.htm

·
Registered
223 Posts
Rusty

Your load 8) of 42.5 4064 is a one-holer in my Rem700 Police and my Howa 308 Tactical. I use the 168 Sierrra in my M1A for match shooting and substitute teh 165 Sierra and N-BalTip for shooting anything as far as one can see. I took a chuck at an honest :-D 400yds with it. It IS teh 308 accuracy load. I also use the same load in my 15" Encore 308 with the same results. There is no need for anything else! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts