Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a 243 for my daughter-in-law, Savage has three package deals through Wal mart. Does anyone have a Savage youth model and how do you like them. Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bump...

I am looking for a rifle like this , so I thought I would bump this old thread.

I think I have narrowed my choices down to these two rifles in 243 for my daughter.
1. Remington Model 7 Youth 243 at around $440. I like the short action on this one.
2. Savage Model 11FY Youth 243 at around $420. This has the Accutrigger, but I am pretty sure it stays with a long action.
If any of you have an opinion on these 2 please speak up.

·
Registered
516 Posts
My son and I have a 7-08 youth model Savage (package, pre-accutrigger) and like it a lot. It is quite accurate with factory or hand loads even with the cheapy scope it came with. It is also light and easy to tote in the woods. Barrel is also light to keep weight down so it heats up quickly when shooting groups at the range but that is easily solved by taking a second rifle to shoot while it cools. BPS, the 243 is a short action.

Never shot the Rem Model 7, but after getting the above Savage, I never felt a compelling need to given its performance. I also wound up getting 2 more Savages with Accutrigger (this feature is really sweet) and have gotten very good results as well.

Don't overlook fit in any event, go with the model that fits the intended shooter the best. Either the Rem or Savage will give good performance though if it is a toss-up, my nod goes to the Savage for its OTB accuracy.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I needed a lefty .243 for my tiney daughter, so I bought the regular sized 11GL and am having the stock cut down some and a Decelerator pad added. When she grows big enough, I will simply buy a nicer stock and have it fitted again. I have bought the lightest sling possible, took off the iron sights, and bought lightweight Tally rings all to save weight. I plan on fitting a smaller scope, hopefully a fixed 6 power Leupy, to also save a little weight. After much reading, I have been convinced it will be brighter than than the variables and eliminate the need for her to worry about changing powers. If she turns into an avid hunter as she appears she will, I will rebarrel the Savage with a .260 when I think she is ready for more recoil
She shoots an old savage 340 .222 now and the stock was cut way down for little kids and has worked beautifully. I also cut a couple inches off the barrel.
I have a Model 7 now, full size, but needed a lefty. The only complaint I have with the Model 7 is the muzzle blast from the shorter barrel (20").

pepaw

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Unless you have several young'uns coming along after the one you're buying the rifle for, my suggestion has always been to buy a standard rifle (a model 7 or such is a good choice) and then buy an after-market "cadet" stock for use until the kid grows into the longer stock.
I also suggest that the .260 or 7-08 is a much better choice for a first deer rifle than a .243/6mm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts