Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm exploring options for acquiring a couple of inexpensive rigs for North Dakota prairie dogs. I see Savage 340s in .222 often going for a song.

I know the .222 s a fine cartridge and that the 340s would be just as useful left in .222 as they would be if converted to .223. But I'm deeply involved in reloading .223 and would just as soon not go to the expense of acquiring .222 tools and brass.

So, I'm wondering how involved it would be to rechamber one or two of these 340s into .223. Would the chamber come clean without shortening the barrel? Would .223 cartridges with 45 and 50 grain bullets function through the .222 magazine? Any other pros or cons?

TIA

·
Registered
394 Posts
Savage 340

I have seen new .223 barrels for the Savage 340, but I am not shure where. They were quite cheep if I remember right. I remember it because I considered changing my .30-30 over, but after figuring all the costs I opted for a used .22-250 rifle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I look around the internet for more information on these Model 340s, I note that there are different removeable mag.s for .222 and .223. Are these cartridges different enough that .222 magazines could not be used for .223?

(I'm starting to think I would be just as happy to use a 340 in .222 after all. But I don't see a pelntiful supply of cheap, bulk-packed varmint ammo for .222 like is available for .223 from Black Hills, etc.)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think you will have to adjust the mag some for the 223 although it should be no more than feed lip tuning. That said....sometimes the magazine is the most irritating part of a conversion.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
The magazine will work fine. You might be able to just rechamber and shoot. You would have to set your oal to the magazine length. If it were mine, and I have one, I would leave it in .222. Too many cheap .223s out there that you could get. Why mess it up. Just my .02.

Steve :wink:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have one 222 and one in 3030.My222 shoots great if I were you I would check in to a cheap 223.Dont fix it if it isnt broke!That is just my two cents. I am the new guy though.This site rocks. GOOD LUCK :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.