Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Savage 99 good price?

Well su, it depends much on which model 99 you've discovered, and whether it was an early one or mfg. later. To add to the confusion sometimes it's a bit difficult to find out exactly which model you're actually looking at. Does it have the schnabel forend of just a plain one, checkered or not, walnut or hardwood? Why did they have to make things so confusin'????
I'd never owned a 99 but always wanted to and I've been a .308 fan all my life, so last fall I ran across one on one of the auction sites had the jeweled bolt, case hardened lever, brass rotary magazine, in .308 and I literally paid through the schnouzer because it was 'zactly what I wanted and evidently a couple of other bidders wanted it almost as bad as I did. Well after I got it I decided I'd paid waaaay to much and I gave myself a good ass kickin'. Then I took it to the range back before deer season and with the first load I put together, with some of the old original Win. silvertips I found on e-bay, it put 3 shots consistently in an inch or under. Well suddenly I hadn't paid too much at all. Of course all my stories haven't ended like this but even a blind hawg finds an akern onc't in awhile.So while I haven't specifically answered your question, perhaps I have encouraged you to look at it from a different perspective.
If it's in excellent condition and one of the more desirable "collectable" models, expect to pay from $400 - $1,000. BTW, let us know what happens. Good luck. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts