Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my new Savage today and it will be here Friday...yee haw!!!

Is it Friday yet? ;D

·
Registered
636 Posts
Ain't new guns fun? My GP .54 flintlock arrived this week. Wife says it's a Christmas present and I can't shoot it 'til then. DANG THAT WOMAN! :D

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I got 2 new guns I was crazy over and I got them last year and I still haven't shot them. That reminds me I am off tomorrow and Ill shoot them tomorrow. I have been wanting one of the Savages.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Let me get out my crystal ball. I have the uncanny ability to predict the future with this crystal ball.

Hmmmm...

The crystal ball says you will love the Savage.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
More than my T/c? Or knight? I hope its as good as you say. Post a range result when you get to shoot it. ;D

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
Crittergitter,

Where did you order this rifle from?

Cheese

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My day keeps getting better...I just sold my Pro Hunter!!!

Cheesehead - I bought it at the local gun shop.

Now it's time to start looking for all the cool accessories I'll need.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Sounds like a good choice. I have been wanting one for some time but I just like way the black power smells and the challenge it puts forth.

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
I want one. I am no longer giving any advantage to the crafty white tail. They have gotten the best of me lately and I am done with that. I will put a scope on it and use my own cast bullets. Elkstalker, thanks for the Natches tip.

Cheese

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Yes that's why where I hunt I like heavy bullets because of the brush.

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
Natches is out of stock on all Savage ML's, but Midsouth has several available.

Cheese

·
Registered
804 Posts
R&R is showing available although I am not sure what is a good price. Usually they are about the best; they were when I checked for the Knight KRB7. They also ship very reasonable.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Check out Doug's Message boards for a Savage ml 2 dedicated forum. There is allot of information there for the gun. Your going to love this gun. It is all I used this year. I shoot 43g of 4759 under a 250g SST in a harvester short sabot that will group under an inch at 100 yards with 2270 fps at the muzzle. Deadly on deer. Think seriously of the 3rd pillar, as this will not change the POI every time you pull out the bolt - or the EZ tool breech plug tool. I have both, and like the 3rd pillar.

Also look into getting some spare vent liners.

Good luck, if you have any questions, just ask

kb

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
kb what is the max range you could get with yours?

·
Registered
739 Posts
"I want one. I am no longer giving any advantage to the crafty white tail. They have gotten the best of me lately and I am done with that. I will put a scope on it and use my own cast bullets. Elkstalker, thanks for the Natches tip."

Nein!!
Lead slugs do not do well in the Savage. Best to use a bullet with the copper jacket, or else the all copper Barnes.

As for range, I am shooting the 250 SST at around 2,300 fps, fairly standard load for the Savage, they boys with the tough shoulders crank it up to 2,600 no problem.

I get 3 1/2 inch groups at 200.
I am 2 inches high at 100, dead on at 150 and 3 inches low at 200.
So with a good rest out to 225 I would take the shot.
The longest shot I know of with the Savage is 335 yards.

By the way that 250 SST at 2,300 fps hits a whitetail like the Hammer of Thor!

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Now that put me wanting one more. I have got to get one!!

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
simonkenton said:
"I want one. I am no longer giving any advantage to the crafty white tail. They have gotten the best of me lately and I am done with that. I will put a scope on it and use my own cast bullets. Elkstalker, thanks for the Natches tip."

Nein!!
Lead slugs do not do well in the Savage. Best to use a bullet with the copper jacket, or else the all copper Barnes.

As for range, I am shooting the 250 SST at around 2,300 fps, fairly standard load for the Savage, they boys with the tough shoulders crank it up to 2,600 no problem.

I get 3 1/2 inch groups at 200.
I am 2 inches high at 100, dead on at 150 and 3 inches low at 200.
So with a good rest out to 225 I would take the shot.

The longest shot I know of with the Savage is 335 yards.

By the way that 250 SST at 2,300 fps hits a whitetail like the Hammer of Thor!
My plan was to use cast 44 or 45 caliber pistol bullets in a 50 cal sabot. Has anybody tried this? It is about a "do it myself" mentality and economics since the lead is free.

Cheese

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Sounds good. I think that should work. I fixed your post for ya.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts