Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Untill recently I would not consider a savage rifle. I knew they would shoot but I could not get past the ugly. I just bought one of the model 12 stainless varmit rifles with the laminated stock, heavy fluted barrel, oversize bolt knob and accutrigger in 308. This is one **** of an impressive rifle. The new low profile varmit rifle is even better looking than the rifle I bought but it just comes in the small calibers and I do not need one of those.-------Also the new classic line is a great looking rifle. If I needed a good walk around rifle I would strongly consider one of those. Any of you guys starting to notice the new savage line? vernonp

·
Registered
23 Posts
Savage Rifles

:D Hi Vernon,
Yes, they are sure getting my attn. I just wish they would start appearing on the shelves. I am REALLY interested in the Mod 14/114. I would like to fall in love in person, these long distance relationships are no fun.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Savage is not only getting my attention, they are also getting my money.. :grin:
Very fine rifles... :D

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
Savage has been getting my money too, but about half of what they should. I've bought two of their Stevens 200 models, 25-06 and 7mm-08 for $262 from my local dealer. Great hunting rifles, Handi's and Stevens are great values! :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think Savage is doing a good job of covering the different price spectrums now in their rifles. They always made the best rifles for the money and the most accurate. Now they have a rifle that can appeal to a lot more people, and pretty soon they are supposed to bring back the Fox brand that will be their top of the line. I am really anxious to see that rifle. vernonp

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Yeah the Model 12 is my long term goal-saving up is so hard to do.
One sweet rifle. In the summer of 2003 Outdoorlife mag did a 2003 Gun Test-the Savage model 12 in 22-250 outshot every gun they tested out of 12 models ranging from CZ, Howa (came in second), Browning,Ruger, etc...
Of course these all were in different calibers, with the only other rifle in 22-250 being Howa,Weatherby, and SG&Y SVT.
But still from what everyone who owns one said they will never get rid of this rifle. And I have yet to see many on used shelves.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Savage Scout Rifle

Let them bring back the Savage Scout Rifle (Model 10 FCM) with the accu trigger. and they could really trip my trigger.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
DirtyHarry said:
Savage is not only getting my attention, they are also getting my money.. :grin:
Very fine rifles... :D
Same here. Lawdog
:D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not only do they shoot really well, but you can switch calibers in a manner of a few minutes. I've even made up a couple of two tone short actions that look pretty cool too. Yeah, they've been gettin' a lot of my money too.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I only have one savage and thats the stevens 200. Its a very accurate .223. I have to say the only reason I bought one is because my friend had one plus he has a few other savages and they all shoot very well at the range. I do have a couple of custom rifles that I really treasure, but I get a laugh when others at the range say hey that stevens shoots pretty darn good. I am now looking at other savages because they sure seem to make a pretty good rifle.

Norse

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Coalminer---------Years ago, I do not know how long back the Fox brand was the companies top of the line firearm. I was on the Savage site a while back and there was a writeup that said they were bringing this line back, and it was going to be a really top quality rifle. I am really eager to see it.-------vernonp

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
There were two lines of Fox guns, Ansley Fox made side by side doubles, so did the other Fox but they weren't quite as nice, and I forget the first name of the guy who made 'em. Us Elsie guys can't quite keep them lesser guns straight, Winchester, Parker, who cares. :-D

·
Registered
29 Posts
i also own savage rifles and they have been the most accurate rifles i have owned,and they were also the cheepest,and i have owned alot of other brands...

·
Registered
253 Posts
My first rifle ever was a Savage 110CL (detachable magazine). Boughti it new in 1985. I sold it when I was in college, then thought I would upgrade to a "nicer" rifle, and got a Ruger M77mkII. Not an upgrade, as it turns out. I wish I still had that 110. The metal finish wasn't as nice, but everything else about the Savage was superior to this Ruger, ESPECIALLY the trigger. Live and learn.

My next rifle will be a Savage 16FLSS, I just can't decide between a .308 and 7mm-08.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i own a savage 16fss and it shots little under 1/2 inch groups and i have only put 42 rounds through it,i love it...i would like to have a 7-08,i think it will do everything a 308. will do and then some...as far as flatness and energy.,the 284. bullet defies gravity better than the 308.and it is one of the 2 most poular varieties of ammo to load for....

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Just aquired a Savage 12FV Varmiter in .223 heavy barrel with sharpshooter trigger, Leupold rings which has a 1 in 9 barrel twist 8) for the Remington 700 ADL in .223 standard barrel, with the 6x24x44 mm scope that I had on it. Wasn't a bad shooter, just hated the trigger and light barrel.

Now I is a happy camper with the Savage :sniper:

Can't wait to get it scoped up with a nice mil dot retical scope.

Later post add:

I aquired a nice Burris 3x9.5x42mm scope for the Savage :-D

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
bchannell said:
Not only do they shoot really well, but you can switch calibers in a manner of a few minutes. I've even made up a couple of two tone short actions that look pretty cool too. Yeah, they've been gettin' a lot of my money too.
? I'm missing something-switch calibers/barrels?
Could someone please explain. My curiosity is on fire right now.....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts