Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at a Savage 110 at Bass Pro last weekend.

Based on what I saw I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, is the safety a 2 or 3 position? There were definitely 3 stops. When I asked the clerk about it he said that it was a 2 positions. When I pointed out that there were 3 stops he just repeated himself ("It has a 2 position Safety.")

Secondly, I noticed that the bolt seemed to stick when lifting up or down on the bolt handle. Is this normal?

Rummer

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
The newer Savage bolt actions have 3 positions. For some reason the owner's manual says 2 positions. I bought my son a 110 in 1990 and it has a 3 position safety and the manual says 2. As for the bolt sticking I can't comment without examining the rifle in question.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I bought an older Savage that I'd guess was from the 70's and it had a three position safety as did the one I bought in 1991 and the one I bought in 2004.

You could have demonstrated the function of the three position safety to the store clerk, then he would know a bit more about the product he's selling.

I like the fact that on my new Savage, I can open the bolt, put the safety on to the rearmost position, then load the next round and when I close the bolt the safety goes to the middle position.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The safety functions the same way it always did. Before the 1964 redesign there were two tactile stops, that was changed to three. I have one of the older ones and can unload my magazine with a locked trigger, just like the new models. :wink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts