Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, glad I found this forum a ton of knowledge here. The question I have is I have a sb2 .243 with bull barrel and all. I like the gun ok but prefer kinda an old school look other that the laminate stocks that are on it. I believe I would really enjoy a new stock set and really love the way a mannlicher stock looks. Is there a source for these and is it even possible to put one on a bull barrel? Here is the gun. Bought it from a work buddy for $180. He never even put a full 20 round box of ammo through it.
Wood Automotive tire Window Road surface Asphalt

·
Super Moderator
51,496 Posts
GSI made mannlicher forends for H&Rs, but they're not available now, H&R made them also, but only for 22" barrels.

As for bull barrels, H&Rs don't have true bull barrels, they aren't that much bigger than standard contour H&Rs, just a bit bigger at the muzzle with slightly less taper. My H&R mannlicher forend fits fine on big bore barrels which are about the same as bull barrels at the muzzle.

Tim
www.gunstocksinc.com

H&R forend pics added:
Wood Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Trigger
Wood Air gun Gun accessory Shotgun Gun barrel

Reactions: lgustin

·
Registered
166 Posts
Got a nice deal, welcome to the site!

The mannlicher fore ends do pop up occasionally on the auction sites, but tend to be pricey. That stock looks to be in nice condition and is desirable though so you could recoup some of your costs.

·
Registered
Stand for the Flag. Kneel at the Cross!
602 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I haven't seen a Mannlicher set for sale in quite a while now. The Shikari forearm seems to pop up a lil more frequently and last time I looked it was available from Numrich's gun parts. The only thing about the Shikari is that it's made to accept a cleaning rod so it probably wouldn't suit you to get the look you are wanting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that look would be getting close. I guess I'll just keep my eyes peeled for one and see if it shows up. I think a set of mannlicher stocks stained a darker brown, and I have a very mint el paso Weaver K10 that would kinda make it look more old school and classy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, this will be the first H&R rifle I have. I have my .410 from when I was a kid and I have a topper 158 .12ga that I built into a turkey comp gun. I'm looking forward to working up some loads and seeing how it does.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I'll have to see if I can find any. Might be a challenge as with finding any reloading stuff these days. I know I have some 70gr varmmagedon bullets. Anyone ever have any luck with them?

·
Registered
760 Posts
i know, it seems nothing is available. hunters shack did load them and i had excellent results with them. sierra started loading their own but i have not tried them. i cant find either lately so i am saving what i have for critters.

·
Registered
Stand for the Flag. Kneel at the Cross!
602 Posts
Wasn't sure if it was just the browser on my phone or not. It wouldn't let me open it. Maybe it still works. Saw an Amish company that was doing some Mannlicher stuff too but didn't see anything for a Handi Rifle.

·
Super Moderator
51,496 Posts
So, was that link any good?
The link's good, but there's no option to add to cart and it's not Monday yet so he can't call and ask yet. If you look at other mfrs like Remington below, they show a page with options, there hasn't been any options for H&R for years, same for TC. Even the mannlicher they offered was only for 22" barrels, they'd have to make one for a 24" Ultra barrel if he has a factory Ultra Varmint, that's why I suggested a custom stock maker, it would be fairly easy for them to make one using dimensions from the existing forend.

Tim

Yes it sure did. I will give them a call Monday and see about getting one sent to me. Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts